My free flap is the whole top of my tongue - Had the surgery September 3 - Home on the 11th --came home with a trach, suction machine, peg tube in stomach, peg tube feeder, nebulizer ---
Tongue is still very swelled - feels so foriegn - Speach person brought cold lemon swabs ....I could not feel or taste anything on the top of my tongue ....some to the sides ....
Has anyone who had this surgery ...Do you get anything back?
Also want to wait for a bareum swallow before letting me try food - I can't get liquids over the big tongue, when I curl it a little I can get it back to swallow. Others with experience ---will I ever be able to eat liquids/solids ....how long did it take you? How long before you had trach & Peg tube removed......How long before the forearm heals and looks like skin and not raw meat? Really would love to hear from you

54 Year Old Female Non Smoker - Non Drinker
Stage 3 Squamous Carcenoma middle tongue, Surgery 9/3/2010 15 hour operation, Neck distention,right - 19 lymph node removed/ok -some tongue dysplasia - free flap/forearm, left arm, skin graph-thigh, lip split/jaw 1 tooth removed/PEG