Hi and welcome to OCF.
I am glad you found us as this is the best place to get answers to your questions. If you look at my signature (when you feel like it add one of your own) you will see mine was also diagnosed as Verrucous Carcinoma. I had the same surgery as you and it took a few months but both your ability to eat and speak will get better with time. I had one surgeon tell me this kind of cancer is "low grade" which annoyed me no end but I have read here some time ago that this is in fact true. Mine was floor of the mouth and adjacent to tongue and I believe I lost about 1/3 of my tongue but it looks like less to me.
The 3rd of September was not too long ago and you need to give yourself time to heal. I presume you also had a large patch of skin taken from you thight to cover the area taken from your forearm. There are many of us here that have had the same treatment as you. It will take a little time and maybe some speech therapy but you will get there. More important is that you are and stay cancer free!
I will put you in my watched user list so I know when you post again and try to answer any questions you may have.
I actually have a question for you and that is were you told why you had the Peg tube. I had the NG tube while in hospital but it was removed at around day 8 and I could then sip liquids and have food that was really mushy.
By the way I was a couple of years older when I had my surgery.
Love
Gabriele

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family