Kate - I think I understand how you are feeling, in a very small way. I had only a partial glossectomy, but in my field and career I have to do a lot of public speaking, as well as constant communication with customers and vendors, and it really gets to me when I realize people don't always understand me. i try to speak slowly and articulate well (my speech therapist was great at helping me with that) but I am still self conscious at times. I can imagine how you feel, and I know too well how we as women can be the worst at making other women feel inferior. (why do we do that to each other?) All I can say to you is that I've followed your progress both here and on your blog and I think you are awesome, brave, and deserve the best life has to offer you. Wish I was in a position to hire you - I bet you are also great at what you do. I really think you will find something soon that will be just perfect for you - don't be afraid to start looking and see what's possible. If you get a job with another company that has healthcare, they have to insure you - that's most of what HIPAA was actually for. And, now with Obama Care - guess soon it won't be an issue. I changed jobs less than 2 years after my surgery - was a little nervous about that, but it's turned out great. and no problems with health insurance at all.
Please keep remembering what an awesome person and role model you are,
Ginny

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!