After having had 7/8ths of my tongue removed, plus 2 sets of radiation - I am on long term disability. It is partly a combination of speech problems plus extreme chronic fatigue plus arthritis in my hands which keeps me away from the workplace. After 32 years as a bank manager and farm/business lender (a fast paced /high pressure environment) - it has been quite an adjustment to be in this position, but I know that there is no way on God's green earth that I could work. Mind you, for those that love charades - I'm their girl!!

As my Radiation Oncologist said "it was extreme lifesaving treatment that had residual consequences" - thank of course translates to shut up and stop complaining - be glad you're here!!

I know what trouble you have had with your job Kate. I feel badly for you that you feel trapped due to health insurance issues. I don't know much about the American system so I don't know if you could get insurance elsewhere, but I do know that you write so well - clear, concise, eloquent, that you definitely HAVE excellent communication skills. As far as whether someone would hire you because of your tongue (or lack thereof), I am sure that most people would be normally curious about how you manage, but no one should discriminate based on that. If they did (or if you feel that your current job is doing that) you should certainly have a case vs your employer with the help of the disability and human rights groups.

Keep us posted.

Hugs

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)