Hi - new to posting (anywhere - I work at a computer all day, but never joined forums or "chatted").

Trying to educate myself quickly on chemo-radiation options before I meet with RO. Am in between walking around in a cloud, doing whatever I'm told and freaking out.

Just read through my post and it's looong. Sorry to be windy, but I'm stressing again. Am hoping for tips on how to choose an RO and info on chemo-rad options (induction vs. no induction).

Recently dx Stage 4 BOT + 1 node. Tonsillectomy 10-26 with open biopsies (tonsil was clean; tumor was pressing against it). ENT referred me to surgeon, whose associate at first said they'd operate, then radiate with chemo. A few minutes later, the surgeon I'd been referred to said it'd be 6-7 weeks of chemo-radiation, then I'd see them again. Still in a daze, and asked questions, but (unfortunately) hadn't been doing enough digging to know which questions to ask. ENT set up appt with local RO (I'm trying to learn abbreviations)for Monday at a local RO (just a few minutes from home, affiliated with hospital with cancer center minutes from home (almost all hospitals in my area are with the same group - monopoly or better collection of resources, it's a matter of opinion). Surgeon (1/2 hour away at the University of Cincinnati Barrett Cancer Ctr.) set me up with a University of Cincinnati RO Friday (I asked if it would be better to see an RO with the same center). I have no clue how to choose between the two (both, of course, are well-recommended). Any suggestions? I tried to see what technologies are offered at the two centers, but couldn't find enough info online.

Also, read a member's post saying that they did induction chemo followed by chemo and radiation because it greatly increases success rates. Any ideas on how this works, and why my surgeon said nothing about it?

I've been reading A LOT of posts on this site - even when I wasn't reaching out, it made me feel good to see the way you people are putting care out there to the people whose questions I followed.

Any light on the subject would be appreciated.

Be well, do good.

- Pam M

44 at 10-26-2009 Dx; SCC, T2N2b, St.IV BOT; Rt. Tonsil out; PET 11-12-09 (3 spots); 3 rds Cisplatin, Taxotere and 5-FU started 11-19-09; PEG 12-24-09; 7 wks chemo-rads done 03-16-10. 06-28 CT/PET watching 1 node; PEG out; 11-15 CT - larger; 11-23 PET activity up; mrdc 12-21; 04-01-11 CLEAN SCANS! ; March 2018 new SCC - Meet with surgeon 4-4-18