Look I am not any kind of doctor but we have discussed this "no swallowing" issue many times since I have been associated with this site and it appears that the longer one doesn't exercise their swallowing muscles, the more prone they (the muscles) are to forget how to swallow. Add to that the damage that radiation can and does do to those throat muscles and the stage is set for some permanent damage to form. So if I were you I would get him to talk to some doctor he trusts that is knowledgeable in the issues we are discussing before it's to late. Absent strictures issues already preventing him from swallowing, I see no reason not to start and I see plenty reasons why he should start.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.