Nutrition and Exercise are Neglected "Therapies"

This post is not specifically targeted at people with OC, although it is valid for OC survivors and that's why I'm posting it here.

Here is what I have my father in law doing:
Every day, an hour-long walk, preferably during the day in indirect sun.
One glass of freshly squeezed pomegranate juice
Half cup of dried goji berries (in a smoothie).
5 grams of spirulina (in a lemon drink).
*And an otherwise welll-balanced diet

They include some of the foods I've learned to have the highest cancer-fighting nutrients per dollar. He lives in India and I have to ship the goji berries, ironically. I was unable to find an anti-oxidant supplement from a reliable source in any country. Do I believe this diet is a cure for cancer? Not exactly. But I have evidence that it won't hurt and overwhelming evidence that good nutrition promotes good health and longer life. So, I cannot begin to imagine why these facts should exclude cancer survivors. If anything, I was expecting to find more informed people when it comes to these things. But since I haven't, I'm filling in a little bit.

Proper diet and exercise can and do have what doctors prescribe loads of prescriptions for and are just as "therapeutic" or more so as some of the drugs being pushed on the American public in commercials I see on basic cable several times a day.

The vast majority of drugs being promoted right now (just turn on any basic cable channel to get bombarded) are being created in response to the horrific lifestyle of the average American and are mostly preventable or curable using the Big Three. Examples are:

Constipation
Insomnia
Depression
Osteoporosis
Heart Disease
Diabetes
High Cholesterol
Anxiety
Fatigue
Immunodeficiency
Chronic pain
Acid reflux
Obesity
Indigestion
Inflammation

These are the Big Three:

1. Proper nutrition
2. Good sleep
3. Regular exercise

It is no coincidence that most of the ailments I listed above can be caused and/or significantly exacerbated with improper diet, sleep, and exercise.
But the USDA and FDA regularly ignore the research and fail to prevent the pollution of misinformation by corporate and private interests.

I know some here already do practice the Big Three very carefully, but that is extremely rare.

It is of no coincidence that certain foods are proven to reduce certain types of tumors, and it is well known that alcohol, tobacco, and many substances used in food are linked to various types of cancer.

I'm not advocating you do anything in contrary to a doctor's advice or make sudden changes. I'm not claiming these are the cause nor the cure for OC. But what I am saying is that you need to take responsibility for your basic wellbeing, because most doctors do not have time for that, especially the ones helping you to battle your cancer. And I don't see most people doing that.

I urge those of you who can to seek out a family member or friend to help you ensure you are doing the basics for yourself by doing the Big Three, in addition to whatever treatment plan your doctor has already given you. Or you can even send me a message and I'll help if I can. Don't forget to get regular checkups at your regular doctor, and don't neglect the basics like vitamin supplements and physical activity when it�s approved by the doc (ask!). If you are presently in recovery, keep the ball moving by getting on track with the basics.

The insurance industry (I.E. US government) doesn't line the back pockets of personal trainers and dieticians as much as it could because it's too busy getting IT'S back pocket lined by corporate interests and Big Pharma. And it's a viscious cycle from there. That is not my theory, that's a documented and verifiable fact.

So, I hope I haven't given you just one more thing to worry about, but hopefully lit one additional branch of a path towards wellness.

FIL completed treatment 10/08. CG to father in Law in india who had SCC oral tongue T2N2M0. FIL underwent surgery, neck dissection, IMRT, and erbitux without losing weight or getting nauseated. Completed October 2008. SO far so good.