Hi Wendy. My husband drove me crazy when he first started treatments. He is very independent and does not like to be taken care of. He also hates to take any kind of prescription drugs. So.....when he started chemo I told him to take the Compazine they gave him because the nausea would really kick in 24 hours after treatment. Of course he didn't listen to me and eventually the nausea was so bad that he was on Zofran and Compazine. He took the Zofran up to a month after treatments ended. He had the PEG put in and didn't use it the way he should have until he dropped around 20 lbs. He was supposed to be doing 5 cans a day and was lucky to get 3 in. He had cream to put on his neck, I had to bug him about using that.

I used to get so frustrated working two jobs outside the house and then being the food police, medication police etc. I would have days where I would just cry in my car driving to and from work. I never lost it around him but there were days when I would be so......frustrated with him not doing what he was supposed to do that I could have screamed. His response to me was always "I told you from the beginning, I am going to be a difficult patient". He was right. Hang in there!

Wanda (47) caregiver to husband John (56) age at diag.(2009)
1-13-09 diagnosed Stage IV BOT SCC (HPV+)
2-12-09 PEG placed, 7-6-09 removed
Cisplatin 7 weeks, 7 weeks (35) IMRT
4-15-09 - treatment completed
8-09,12-09-CT Scans clear, 4-10,6-11-PET Scans clear
4-2013 - HBO (30 dives) tooth extraction
10-2019 - tooth extraction, HBO (10 dives)
11-2019 - Left lateral tongue SCC - Stage 2