Geri,

I had hydrocodone (liquid and tablets) to take when I was at home and tramadol to take when I was at work for the beginnings of pain and discomfort. I worked up until my 4th week of IMRT and then hit a wall, but I have a very physical job where I have to talk alot! I couldn't explain things to my patients because my throat was sore and my voice gave out. I also had some stuff called MD Anderson mouthwash that was swish and swallow but it made me too sleepy to take while I worked ( 4 times a day).
Then when I stopped working they put on the Fentanyl patch, 25mcg then 50mcg for awhile then back down to 25mcg. I did have terrible withdrawals when we finally took the patch off, but it was after treatment had ended and I was not eating like I should because I didn't have to weigh in every week.
At the time I didn't
think to take the hydrocodone to help taper, I just took the patch off and thought I would be fine. Just talk to the docs about tapering the patch when you get to that point.( later
found out that there is a 12.5 mcg to step down to ) I wore it until mid December while recovering ,too.
Cold always felt good on my throat so I mixed ice cream in my Boost and Ensure plus and I liked raspberry tea up until my taste changed, now I can't tolerate sweet stuff. And you are right, you and hubby will be closer than ever during and after this journey. You guys are in my prayers.

59 yr old female Rad Tech T2N0M0 lt tonsil
IMRT x 35, no surg, no chemo.
Last treatment 11/18/08. Dealing with L'Hermittes sign presently.
Oct 2010 swollen nodes on rt. side. Biopsy: positive SCC
Jan.20,2011 radical neck dissection(6 hrs.) tonsillectomy on rt. finished 30 treatments Apr.27,2011.