Geri,
The third ct Tx would have killed me for sure. I puked so much after the second ct that I polished my teeth, like glass, with stomach acid. Nothing worked, Zofran, etc. I ended up using compazine suppositories because I couldn't throw them up.

In the mid Tx point (3 weeks) I had a CT scan and the tumor had completely vanished - gone. It's pretty standard to have a mid point ct to make adjustments in the radiation treatment protocol. Whether that factored in I don't know. I think it was my over the top side effects from the Cisplatin.

Hearing damage from Cisplatin is very uncommon (actually rare) and some ringing and buzzing may be normal as your eustacian tubes get clogged up, etc. A head cold can cause many of the same symptoms. Especially as you get older, almost all of us have some tinittus from all of those rock concerts, etc. My ears are ringing right now. Being a musician hasn't helped. BUT - if you notice and sudden changes report this to your doctor immediately. I had many problems with fluid buildup which magnified the tinittus problem. Strangely, subsequent post Tx audiology tests actually showed an improvement in my midrange hearing response.

The bloodwork numbers will naturally crash as a result of treatment but only a doctor can say for sure whether this is an anticipated change or abnormal. My numbers were off for over a year. Fortunately one of the redeeming things about Cisplatin is that it doesn't mess with the bone marrow very much, unlike some other ct does.

In reference to the radiology numbers. It appears they are giving you the numbers in rads rather than Grays (Gy). 100 rads=1Gy. They haven't used "rads' in years. The following link explains the concept of ionizing radiation pretty well.

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/radsafety/training/safety_info.php

Last edited by Gary; 01-16-2009 04:02 PM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)