Geri,

First off I did loose a ton of weight, which I could not afford to and that led to all sorts of complications and I ended up in the ER 3 times in the latter stages of Tx to get much need fluids. My biggest problem became nausea which I just couldn't seem to control. Once I stopped taking my pain meds (which didn't seem to work and caused more adverse side effects), the nausea went away and I started swallowing 3000 cals a day using Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC and the rest was history for me. Believe me we have had a ton of posts on Peg vs. No Peg and I don't want to start another debate but if he does get the Peg please make sure he uses his throat daily through out the entire Tx and beyond.

My recommendation is that he get WEEKLY Cisplatin Txs and daily IV's of fluids and a port and swallow daily to keep those muscles in good working condition.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.