Geri:

I didnt lose my hair from cisplatin. Like most others on here, I lost some hair on the back of my head from radiation. It was near the bottom of my head each side where I lost it. Dont worry, it can be hidden and will grow back.

Ask the docs about prescriptions that you can get now. It will save you time later when you will be busy caring for your husband. The chemo usually hit me about 5 to 8 days after I got my dose. Even with anti-nasuea meds, I was really sick. Im really not the best example to use since I didnt have a caregiver making sure I had proper nutrition and hydration. To be honest, oral cancer treatments can be very difficult to go thru. It will take its toll on not just your husband, but unfortunately on you too.

Im really sorry to tell you the bad stuff, I know its a scary time for you. Its not easy but it is necessary and can be done. Ive gone thru it twice and consider myself one of the lucky ones. Keep asking questions and write things down to ask the docs, that can be very helpful.

Its also a good idea to get your husband to eat alot right now and get alot of fluids too. Eating will become difficult during treatments, so he needs to bulk up now and not worry about his weight.

The peg area will be a little sore for a couple days. Then its not a big deal. I used neosporin and covered it with gauze pads to keep it clean and healthy. Your husband needs to keep it clean so it doesnt get infected. Is he getting a port? That would make chemo easier.

Keep asking questions, we will guide you thru this.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma