Geri

The pain medications were the only bright spot in my entire TX. Without them I would not have been able to swallow every day and drink my Ensure Plus nor would I have been able to drink all the seltzer water to keep hydrated. Oxycodone pills just were not enough, so I ended up on the Fentanyl patches also because of the tremendous pain from the radiation burns and yellow crusted neck sores. Both my RO and MO noted that the 72 hour replacement period on the drug package insert did not comport with a single one of their patients experiences. They started me right off with a 48 hour replacement timetable and by the end, I had two patches and changed one each day. I really hope your husband does not need so much, but don't hesitate to accept this help.
Of course it helped that in my hippie days I had substantial experience with Percocet, Qualudes, etc so I knew what to expect. Even so when I foolishly went "cold turkey" on the patches, I found out why they had prescribed extra oxycodene for me - but it only took two weeks to wean off to zero pills.

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13