The thing with doing chemo first is there could be a hang up in waiting for the drugs and having his blood drawn etc... Which would make you late for rads - and make for a longer day. Plus he could be feeling unwell after chemo - nauseated etc...

What chemo are they giving him?
Cisplatin should be flushed. It takes a certain amount of time to run the chemo but there are is another drug they run with it - plus they need to flush him and it's imperative that he drink a crap load after cisplatin because it's very hard on the kidneys. My hospital has a habit of running it overnight with IV fluids so they would have me come in give me rads, then chemo and then they would send me to rads the next morning and send me home.

I've been through chemo twice. Once when I had it (three big bags) and once with my father in law - his was the regiment your husband will likely have - they would have him in early - he'd have his blood drawn, then he'd check into chemo day care. And we would WAIT - some times an hour sometimes two (they had to wait for the blood work results then order the chemo from the pharmacy), then they would hook him up run fluids, his Benadryl, he would pop a steroid, then They would run his chemo and more fluids. It was on a Monday and it never ceased to take less than 4 hours - they usually gave him rads before hand because it was short and easy to fit in - plus after chemo you really just want to go home. We were at the same hospital for both, and it was still an all day ordeal. Others may share there experiences and it's possible they are different but as far as I know the actual chemo may be run over 1.5 hours but there's more to it than just running the bag.

I guess there is nothing you can do about the peg, I just hope he does what he has to. He may surprise you. But I've worked with people who have a mental illness, and bipolar people are okay as long as they take their meds but as I am sure you know some are non compliant becaus of how they feel when off them - or how they feel when on them.

I would also wonder how all the other meds will effect him - and if there are any interactions between them. As your know he probably has to have his meds tweaked as it is occasionally, but throw in different meds, pain meds, steroids etc.. And there may be some issues,

I don't envy you this, but as I said he may surprise you. Hugs my dear.

Last edited by Cheryld; 04-25-2014 06:14 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan