I think the problem here is comprehension? Am I correct? And then after that compliance. That's what it sounds like to me. Often Bipolar patients choose not to take their meds and are non compliant or the meds aren't as effective as they should be.

Add to this the fact that there will be certain things he HAS to do throughout treatment - cancer meds - eating and drinking - when things are very very hard - skin care, and oral care - and you have a very slippery slope.

Ideally you need a one on one with the dr. who denied you the peg. The peg will not solve your overall problems - but it will take a weight off your shoulders. One less thing to worry about. Plus - the way it was put to me before going into treatment, it's a "just in case" I was to try and use the formula with it - to see how I tolerated the feeds (i didn't and ended up having it removed three weeks after the end of treatment - as I didn't use it) but I was VERY MOTIVATED.

You need to talk to him or her privately. They cannot outright discuss your husband's medical status without you having a power of attorney, but this isn't medical information perse... He needs to know what you are facing and why it is a good idea to have it in place.

Plus most meds can be delivered to your husband through the peg as well, which will also help you.

Radiation at the best of times really sucks, so trying to get someone normally health through treatment can be a real task, someone with a mental illness is going to have a harder time... unless he's catatonic.

I do hope you get some help. I know a Cancer center isn't doable for you but the plus to one... other than having all the drs and treatments in one area, is that they see EVERYTHING, and I anticipate they would have something in place for patients who have a mental illness.

hugs to you.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan