Thank you for your comments David.
I have been reading since day one of diagnosis and have learnt so many things that don't even get said by professionals.
My frustration is that I am not able to find any support for people with a mental illness undergoing treatment. Surely, there are people having to battle both.

Unfortunately, my husband has lost the battle with bipolar disorder. He's given up on life and has absolutely no drive whatsoever. That in itself brought a lot of problems on the family life and life in general. Every day seems a struggle.

Finally in January we got a social worker involved but to my dismay I have to admit that the Australian medical system is horrendous it seems one is only a number and paper work gets done to make the system look good. It has been recorded that he's suicidal but that's about it. They promised to see him in hospital amongst other things but nothing has happened. It's so frustrating not being able to link those two illnesses in order to achieve the best outcome.

In the end I am alone with all the problems as usual but having to support someone who is suffering mentally and facing life changing treatment is overwhelming. Almost too much to bare.

Heike

Working caregiver of my husband (51) Simon

03/2014 oropharyngeal cancer, stage IVB, T2N3M0, HPV 16 +
04/2014 Neck dissection - 39 lymph nodes removed, one node positive greater than 6cm, tumour in tonsil reaching into soft palette
28/04/14 begin of treatment
33 x RADS 66 Gy, 33 x chemo cisplatin 13mg each
29/04/14. pick two lines
12/06/14 finished treatment
09/ 14 Pet scan clear