Hi Denise

I am seven months out of chemo/rad treatment, and the bad memories faded fast. The mask was not as bad as I expected. It did feel tight to start with, but as others have said it helps to keep you still. I would have been more anxious about having to keep myself still without it I think.

As for the PEG, I had a RIG (similar to a PEG but put in from outside and kept inplace with a water filled balloon) for 5 mths. I was dependant on it for 2 months, after that it was an aid to get enough nutrition and as a result I stabalised my weight loss very quickly and even began to weight back on. I didn't like it because it irritated me as I moved, but it was a God's send as far as maintaining my weight. I had a very sore mouth first from having 10 back teeth out, then from chemo and then rads. I found eating very difficult and felt very bad that I wasn't managing it so the tube took away the pressure. I did keep swallowing warm water and natural yoghurt through the worst times.

Everyone does seem to have very different experiences of the whole treatment, so here's hoping it goes well for you.

Best wishes
Sally

Dx 10/11 51yrs LBOT Stage 4 2nodes HPV16+. Non-smoker mod alcohol.
10/11 Induction chemox2 (Docetaxel, 5-Flu, Cisplatin) then Cisplatinx2 IMRTx30. Ended 01/13/12.
12/07/11 RIG. RIG removed 05/05/12.
4/12 CT scan clear. Visual scope checks clear as of 10/13. Learning to live with eating challenges.