Denise, welcome to OCF. Think of a feeding tube as a tool or piece of useful medical equipment. Some patients prefer to go without one and expect to have it placed if it becomes necessary. Other patients are better prepared and figure they will get one and practice so its there if they need it. Honestly, if you are getting both chemo and rads I would recommend having the feeding tube prior to starting treatments. Its so much easier on the patient to have it in advance than to wait until they are becoming dehydrated and malnourished to put one in. Of course this is a personal choice and a temporary nasal tube could always be used if the patient doesnt struggle until the very end of treatments. It all boils down to your nutrition, the better you do with it and hydration the easier a time you will have of getting thru this.

I know its scary hearing all this. Try to think of it in a clinical way, its all part of what it takes to get you well again. Knowledge is power and should not be feared. You are among friends who have been down this road and will help you get thru it.

Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy