Denise,

Some of us want to learn everything we can in advance even if it hurts to learn. Perhaps it's our way of easing into the process. Some don't want to know anything. Do what your body tells you.

Re the PEG, we have what we refer to as "The PEG Wars" on this site. The ones that advocate for and against the PEG. I am one against the PEG because I have seen many who end up lifetime dependent because they had it. My RO told me it was up to me and I said NO WAY, a feeding tube is for sick people and I'm not sick! Yeah my stubborness almost killed me but I was talked into a nasal tube in my 2nd week post Tx and I had it for 2 weeks and it REALLY made a positive difference. The nasal tube is fed down thru your nose into your stomach. No surgery and very little discomfort. When you no longer need it, it's just pulled out. I even was allowed to do it myself at home. My point is that it's true that a feeding tube can be a very effective tool in delivering much needed calories, hydration and meds but if I had to do it over again I would wait until I needed it and then go with the nasal tube vs the PEG.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.