Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
didier Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi everyone,

Today I met with an endocrdinologist who'd like my mom to start wearing an estrogen patch due to osteoporosis. In addition, the doc would like her to take a progesterone pill.

The doc is sugggesting that doing nothing is not a good idea due to exremely low bone mass. Of course, I can't help but think that estrogen and/or progesterone might cause additional problems (cancer, etc.).

The endocrinologist has been in contact with my mom's oncologist, which made me feel good, but given my mom's history, I'm admittedly a bit gun shy about proceeding with anything that could trigger another bout with cancer. Has anyone else run across a similar situation? I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who may have had a similar experience.

Thank you so much.
Dave

Mom's caregvr. DDS failed to dx 01/03. Dx Stg IV SCC 05/03. Induct. chemo, IMRT, 5FU, H, Iressa, Neck disect, radiation. Dad's caregvr. Dx 01/04 Ext. Stg SCLC. Mets to liver/bone 08/04. Died 11/12/04. Mom tongue CA dx 06/13, hemiglossectomy (80% removed) 08/13. Clean margins and nodes, but PNI. 6/15/15: Tongue CA at base of remnant tongue. Declined further tx; hospice.
Died 10/13/15. What a long and difficult journey.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Dave,

Caregiver to both mom and dad, what a wonderful son you are. I'm sorry your dad didn't survive. I am also undergoing hormone therapy, but using bioidentical hormones. Perhaps you and your mom should read "The Wisdom of Menopause" by Christiane Northrup, M.D. I checked my copy out at the public library. If your mom decides to go this route, she may have to purchase the bio identical estrogen at a compounding pharmacy and it might not be covered by her medical insurance. The book also list ways to deal with osteoporosis w/o using hormones. It's really worth reading, I understand your concern with the cancer being triggered again and can't help you with info on that. Hope the books helps. PS My mother was on fosamax for her osteo, but quit after 5 years, since the literature out there is not really positive about this drug. High doses of soy protein, regular weight bearing exercises and Vitamin D are some effective ways to maintain bone density and decrease fracture risk. Good luck.

Nancy

Caregiver to sister Connie, dx 2005, scc tongue, 4 surgeries inc. radical left side neck dissection 7/06, 35 IMRT, and 7 cisplatin 2/07, passed away 8-11-07, 51 yrs. young, fought with courage, strength and grace, found peace on her new journey.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Dave,

With all the incidences of breast cancer attributed to HRTs, I would be very reluctant to take them even without having had oral cancer. Is her osteoperosis so severe that exercise, calcium and vitamin D will not keep her from deteriorating further? Can she take Boniva? I can no longer take Fosamax because of stomach upset. I use Miacalcin which is a nasal spray, no where near as effective, but better than nothing. How old is Mom?

Take crae,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Dave

I wonder too how old is your mother? I would suggest a second opinion first. Have they done a bone mass test (like an xray)? I have bone mass/osteoporosis issues due to first having Graves Disease in 2000 prior to my cancer

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace
didier Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Nancy, Eileen and Good1, thank you for responding. I've thought about the bioidentical and will have to look into that further.

She drinks a ton of milk (at least 2 gal./wk.), but that doesn't seem to help. But then again, perhaps things could be worse if she didn't drink it at all. As for exercise, she walks quite a bit.

A bone density test was done and the lack of bone mass is so great that the doc said that something needs to be done. Boniva would be the next plan of attack if the estrodial wouldn't prove effective. The once per year infusion was ruled out, if I understood correctly, due to the potential for adverse affects due to the large dosage of radiation that my mom had to the jaw.

The estrogen patch (Estradiol) would start at .25 mg and then be increased to .5 mg. My mom is 76 and pretty active. I feel as though I'm backed against the wall with this new problem. Doing nothing could be bad as I don't want her to suffer any fractures or breaks. Adding a couple of new drugs to her diet that have questionable side effects just doesn't sit well with me.

I have a feeling I've got a bit of homework to do. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

All my best,
Dave

Mom's caregvr. DDS failed to dx 01/03. Dx Stg IV SCC 05/03. Induct. chemo, IMRT, 5FU, H, Iressa, Neck disect, radiation. Dad's caregvr. Dx 01/04 Ext. Stg SCLC. Mets to liver/bone 08/04. Died 11/12/04. Mom tongue CA dx 06/13, hemiglossectomy (80% removed) 08/13. Clean margins and nodes, but PNI. 6/15/15: Tongue CA at base of remnant tongue. Declined further tx; hospice.
Died 10/13/15. What a long and difficult journey.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23