Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth here. My sister died from lung cancer and emphasema (at age 47) in spite of going to MDACCC for Tx. She smoked right up until the end. My next door neighbor had his voice box removed and continued to smoke though his trach tube hole (gross). He died too. I guess if there is no hope then what's the point of quiting.

Don't waste your breath or energy trying to talk him out of it. As in any addiction, the addict has to WANT to quit. If he doesn't know the dangers and risks by now he must live in a cave on a deserted island. Nothing you say is going to change that.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

All the joking aside from my previous post I agree with Gary, that the "addict" has to want to quit. I tried hard, very hard to get loved ones to quit smoking. They all still smoke. I had a great uncle smoking in the hospital while he was dying from black lung. I saw a complete stranger smoking while pulling that little green oxygen tank. The point is, I can tell by your post that you want to do something...But, David, let's be realistic here--nothing you do or say will make your neighbor quit smoking. I've been there, done that, have the t-shirt and all the headaches to prove it. If cancer didn't do it, you won't.

Okay--I said all this and just got off the phone with my mom. I asked her if she stopped smoking yet? She said, "I have to quit smoking but I had a few." She has emphysema...my mother cannot walk up or down the stairs, or go grocery shopping without huffing and puffing. She had a spot removed from her tonsil two weeks ago(it wasn't cancer)...will she stop? No, I'm afraid she will smoke until the day she dies...It hurts to see my mom this way and I tell her so & she still smokes. If a son can't make a mother quit then you as a neighbor can't either. You can try but it will be a headache. I still think slapping would work! Maybe a hard slap.

Last edited by Ray1971; 12-08-2008 11:08 AM.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
Senior Patient Advocate
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

Well the reason I asked was get your opinions and I did and as much as I don't want to, I won't bring it up UNLESS he does. Even as I type I want to change my mind because I would rather loose a friend that have him die. No we are not best buds but we are good next door neighbors whom both leave their keys to our homes when we are away. He even had to be kicked out of the ambulance which was taking me to the ER when I was a month post Tx and got deathly ill after eating a taco at Taco Bell. (another story)

Anyway I will wait and see what he says the next time we talk, I guess I'll make up my mind then.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

David,

Gary has hit the nail on the head with the word "WANT".

I deal with this problem on a daily basis in my office. When I see someone answer the question about whether they smoke or chew tobacco with a yes, the first thing I ask them is if they want to stop.

If they say no, I tell them that there is nothing I will say, but they should let me know if they change their mind.

However, this does not stop me from telling them about oral cnacer. Most of them never heard of it and sometimes when I'm through with my 5 minute lesson on OC, they've changed their minds about wanting to stop.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

The problem is it's easy for "us nonsmokers" to say quit this is bad stuff. Smoking is addictive and it does have it's withdrawal symptoms: anger/temper flare ups, overeating, stress/nerves/shaking, headaches, and other stuff us nonsmokers don't realize. We know someone doesn't want to put that cig in their trac, but they're not strong enough to stop smoking, so away they smoke. It's not 1960, we all know smoking is bad, even the ones dying from it.

This brings me back to that Soprano's episode when Junior is telling Tony about Bobby's dad dying and Tony says, "It was all da BBQ he ate.." Junior excitedly goes, "We didn't KNOW! It was in the 50's and 60's for christsake!" Tony replies, "Take it easy, it was a joke.." What a great show.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I agree Soprano's is a great show. Only on DVD or HBO. It's just not the same when Tony says crap.

Back on subject, my fiancee smokes, my soon to be mother in law smokes. My uncle smoked and died from pancriatic cancer in 2006. The problem is they have to want to quit. I'm hopful about my fiance. He has mentioned he wants to and he had cut back some.

Good luck with your neighnor. I'm sure if it the subject is discussed as a conversation instead of a lecture it wil go over better. None of like to be lectured!!!

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)

If getting oral cancer is not a powerful stimulus to stop, then I do not know what is. At that point it is clear that you are not invulnerable even if all your family smokes and lives to a hundred. What happened once can happen again...... and with every drag you take you make this more and more likely. Scalpels, forceps and other such tools and the oral cavity/tongue do not mix well, the tools win every time.
All you can do is to provide information (such as a neck dissection) and point people to this site and sometimes it may just work. There are people that smoke in the parking lot before/after their IMRT treatments, which is not a smart way to spend health care resources.

M

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.
Senior Patient Advocate
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

Believe me I have a lot of other things to worry about that I can control the outcome but I just hope his wife finds a way to win this battle. I just know that if he continues to smoke that more likely than not he will die from this within a relatively short period of time and I just find that difficult to accept.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

ya know if he is a good friend, there is nothing wrong with a casual non pressing mention of your concern about it, when you are talking anyway. telling him you do not want to harp on him but are so concerned and do not want to lose him to this cancer and fear you will if he doesn't stop smoking ... as an ex smoker i would not have been offended or put off by that ,... it is not a guarantee he will stop because of it, but it would not be offensive and would help you feel better most likely as I can tell you are truly concerned (with good reason).

sometimes being a friend includes helping someone face reality and being accountable for their actions or in-actions ... we have to decide for ourselves if we feel close enough to the person to require them to be accountable ... i like that my real friends are there to call me on the carpet if i mess up... but some people get real offended by this (usually because / when it is someone they are not close enough to for them to accept it but sometimes it is because they are just not open to seeing their own faults)

but if your gutt is telling you to talk to him, i would say then you should.

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

Senior Patient Advocate
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'll come up with something when I feel the timing is right.

David

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users