Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
trt Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

That's true; TSH only shows part of the story.
http://www.endocrineweb.com/tests.html

Oncologists are not trained in this and often don't care anyway. Endocrinologists are much more knowledgable, thorough and helpful.

Just because TSH and thyroid are in range does not mean they are in range for your age. e.g. Testosterone for a 40yr old should be 500-600. If it's 300, it's low even if 300 is normal range in the lab.

[quote=margaret_in_ma]Gary -

There are three levels in the blood that are tested for thyroid problems: TSH, T3 and T4. TSH seems to be the most common one that is tested although I had an endocrinologist who insisted that only showed part of the thyroid story so she always tested all three. My current doc only tests the TSH.

- Margaret [/quote]

Last edited by trt; 12-07-2008 12:04 AM.

Dx 10/06 Adenoid Cystic carcinoma; Stage I. Soft palate/minor salivary glands.
Tx surgery 11/06 Tomotherapy (targeted IMRT) 3/07
trt Offline OP
OP Offline

This is true, but it's been 18 monhts since Tx for me and I'm still messed up.

[quote=EzJim] You two said that very well. I know when I came out of that induced coma after just a few days and got to come home. I was like a baby learning to navigate again. I have a split entry home and couldn't walk the steps, I had to crawl up them I got in the bathtub the next morning and couldn't gat back out of it.. was laughing at myself and my helplessness. I tried to wind my schoolhouse clock, knowing I would end up on the floor. Yep, fell off the chair I was standing on.LOL Just keep laughing and get the deterkination that you are winning the ball game and gradually you will. I never eb=ven imagining not winning and did. I still stumble at times . [/quote]

trt Offline OP
OP Offline

this is true. When I fight the fears I can usually break thru, but often I don't begin to fight or take too long to do it.

Triggers are everywhere: I've been afraid of my room, using the computer, getting out of the house, getting back to the house, watching TV, anything that reminds me of a fear I experienced.

I don't know about the therapist. It's almost as if we are not getting along. I think he is pressing my buttons on purpose so that I would work on the problems, but it does not feel supportive, nor do I feel better after sessions.

[quote=suzanne98]I have, without a doubt, been dealing with anxiety/depression. I was in a meeting with my boss, my boss' boss and some other higher ups. That is the moment I had my panic attack. When all was said and done I was terrified to drive. Since my fiancee and I work together it was easy for me to avoid driving. After 2 days I decided I had to nip it in the bud. I drove my 45 minute drive on the PA turnpike to work. I stayed in the right lane and talked to myself to stay as calm as possible. Once I was close to work I cried uncontrollably. I was so excited that I did it. Now I can drive again. What I am saying is, you have to fight your fears. I know it is hard, I was so scared and felt like I couldn't breathe the whole time. But I'm so happy I did.

I also go to therapy and take Lexapro. Has your therapist told you about triggers and you need to get rid of them? In my case, smells were a real trigger. I got rid of the candles I used at those times and shampoo and body wash. I did other things that made a huge difference too. I put a slip cover on the couch so the house looked different. My favorit? I smashed all of my pain meds. That got rid of a lot of my frustration. I wish you luck and let me know if I can do anything to help!! [/quote]

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

If you don't feel a bond with your therapist you should find another one. I went to one and we didn't click. Then I found the therapist I currently go to. I know it is time consuming and can be daunting but you will be happy you did it. You may have mentioned this, how long have you been feeling this way?

Do you have a support system? You are right, the docs don't seem to care what happens after treatment. I have found my primary doc to be a huge help. She sits and listens to me and helps me work through it all.

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)

Don't expect your therapist to be "supportive" if you are doing the wrong things... Simplistically, your therapist should be getting YOU to see what's wrong and exposing you to the tools to deal with it, be they techniques or medication.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
trt Offline OP
OP Offline

I don't feel a bond. It's almost like I dislike him. I have heard the opinion that sometimes these therapists who are unpleasant are purposely doing it to get you to deal with the issues (esp freudian psychoanalysis: this one is not) so I am debating whether I should stay with him or not.

I don't really have a support system. My primary doc is the surgeon: she is very quick, will try to help but definitely not listen. I am getting financial support from that hospital and they feel I should get help with emotional issues outside the hospital (they have a therapist but I think they are only providing very short term help during actual Tx).

I became pretty scared 2 years ago when I was diagnosed and became much worse physically/emotionally during radiation treatment.
I had some depression before but nothing like this and no constant anxiety.

[quote=suzanne98]If you don't feel a bond with your therapist you should find another one. I went to one and we didn't click. Then I found the therapist I currently go to. I know it is time consuming and can be daunting but you will be happy you did it. You may have mentioned this, how long have you been feeling this way?

Do you have a support system? You are right, the docs don't seem to care what happens after treatment. I have found my primary doc to be a huge help. She sits and listens to me and helps me work through it all. [/quote]

trt Offline OP
OP Offline

What do you mean by wrong things?

[quote=Pete D]Don't expect your therapist to be "supportive" if you are doing the wrong things... Simplistically, your therapist should be getting YOU to see what's wrong and exposing you to the tools to deal with it, be they techniques or medication. [/quote]

I really think it is important you find another therapist. You need to place yourself around positive people as much as possible. The first time I met my therapist I broke down in sobs after she closed the door...lol That is how I knew I found the person. With the first therapist I felt I had to be strong and act like I was fine.

As far as a support system, use us!!! I know it's not the same as family and/or friends and I can only imagine how hard it is. But I check this website all day everyday and will be here to listen to you anytime.

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)

"...gabapentin (which I am not really taking--they are supposed to help me kick addiction to Ativan)."

"I think he is pressing my buttons on purpose so that I would work on the problems,..."

I read into the second quote that you are NOT working on the problems...

If you aren't getting what you need from the therapist, then it seems to me that a new therapist is the next step.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Cognitive therapy varies all over the map. In my personal experience and it is expensive and time consuming to find a good one (personal recommendations or referals from your MO or cancer support group may help in the quest). I swear that some of these Psychologists spent so much time in therapy themselves for their disfunctions that they became therapists (God help us)! Some people go to open (you don't have to admit that you're an alcoholic) AA meetings for a poor mans type of therapy. I also had to deal with post Tx anger and went to several anger management classes at my church and I fould that exceptionally helpful.

The role of the psychiatrist is to manage your medications and keep your brain chemistry clinically balanced. This can be a daunting experience and much trial and error may be utilized until they get you "dialed in" with the right meds. If you are not responding well to the meds, get an immediate appointment for a re-evaluation.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics