Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#84067 11-12-2008 10:58 PM
ehall1 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all. I am Ed and have never participated in a forum before. I was diagnosed with Tongue cancer back in May and had 3/8 of my tongue removed and 22 lymph nodes on June 2nd. The tongue part was all clear but they found one small spot in one node, making it T2N1M0. The doctor reassured me that everything was clear and that now it was just a watching game. The middle of September he called and said that, just for "just make sure" we should do radiation on the neck. The radiation doctor said that this type of cancer had too low of a recurrance rate to be radiated and that his machine would do more damage than he could guarantee to do good. Oct 12th I felt a lump in my neck and being as I was already scheduled for a catscan, I haven't said anything to my doctor. I am to see him this Friday the 14th. Naturally I am scared witless.

I guess I am just reaching out to those (like me) around me.

Male Age 65 non smoker, non drinker T2N1M0 2 Jun 2008 Partial Glossectomy & neck dissection; lymph node tumor right neck 27 Jan 2009 Modified neck dissection, 26 Feb-16 Apr 2009 Erbitux, 9 March - 20 April RT; 11 Sep 2009 lymph node tumor left neck; 4 Nov removal of manubrium and large tumor
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Ed-

Hmm. What hospital are you at? The lump could be nothing but its best to have it checked out to know for sure. I know its frightening but you need to let your Drs. know of anything unusual. I don't kow what the actual statistics are of reoccurance of tongue cancer. That's confusing that the two Drs. gave you different information.

Anyways-- we are here for you. I know this is a little spooky but its proabably just a little bump or something. Keep a close eye on it and let your Drs. know right away OK?
K

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Wecome aboard Ed. I had a reoccurence about 2 months after surgery. If I would have had chemo and Rads then, I would still have my teeth and the memory of half a year still with me. Teeth had to go so that I could get tongue rad seed implants . Hasd to have the rads and chemo right after they took my teeth and then implants. But I am alive and still kicking. Good luck and I hope the lump is zilch.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Welcome to the board Ed.

I was told the odds of recurrance are about 35%, which they considered high. I ended up in the 35% category and after the 2nd time I didn't ask any more questions about odds.

I remain vigilent (maybe too much?) about lumps, bumps, creaks and pains but at least I am still here to talk about it! Stay on top of this with your doctors - far better to be proactive then to have regrets later.

Let us know how your appointment/scan goes. In the meantime, we are here and know the fear you are talking about. Cancer not only steals days from the end of your life, but it is a thief that takes away the days we spend waiting and worrying as well. Try not to let it steal today. It doesn't deserve it!!

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)

I understand how scary things can get when you have a recurrance. You are your best advocate. Any time you think something is out of the ordinary, run to your doctor and get it checked out.If you don't like the answers you are getting, get a second opinion.

Right now you are expending a lot of energy worrying if this lump is going to harm you. I think getting the information as soon as possible is best so that you don't worry needlessly.

Having said that, this group provides a lot of emotional support and tools to help you deal with things. Anytime you need help, want to vent, or want to share happy thoughts this group is there for you.

Hopefully, everything will turn out good and you will report how relieved you feel.

59 Male 10/06 SCC Stage 1 tongue cancer. 12/06 partial glossectemy right side, removal of lymph nodes. Margins and lymph nodes clean. 09/08 recurrence SCC Stage 1 tongue cancer. 10/08 partial glossectemy right side. Margins clean. Radiation recommended.

Ed, if you are not being treated at a Comprehensive Cancer Center, it would be a good idea to submit your particulars to one. The reason for that is the CCC will have a tumor board where the surgeon, MO, RO and others will all look at your case at the same time and agree on what's best.

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hi Ed:

Welcome to OCF. You will find lots of support from the members here who have all been in your shoes before. Waiting to see a doc or for test results can be very frustrating. Try your best to stay calm and not to worry. Dont waste your time with that. I know its easier said than done, but Ive been right where you are now. My results were not what I wanted to hear, but I got thru it and now Im proud to say I beat it twice smile

Take a few minutes and write down all your concerns and questions to ask your doc tomorrow. If you can take someone with you thats always a good idea too. Sometimes we hear only so much before we kinda shut down and stop listening.

I wish you the best of luck tomorrow. Hope you are in the clear.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Ed,

If I were you I would get a FNA (Fine Needle Aspiration) on that lump ASAP or at least get to a ENT and see what they recommend.

Are you saying they did all that surgery without knowing it was SCC going in?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Hi Ed,
Welcome to the forum but puleeeeeze next time you find a lump, don't wait a month and 2 days to get it checked out just because you already have an appointment. I'm cetain if you had called the doctor back in October, he would have seen you almost immediately and saved you a month of worry and lost treatment time if it is metatsis. As David said, it should be biopsied either surgically or FNA. Good luck tomorrow.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
ehall1 Offline OP
OP Offline

I got to see my doctor about the lump on my neck and even though he pocked, prodded, and twisted it. He couldn't find that it was anything more than a lumpy muscle. He even went and personally got the cat scan and reread it. It made him late for his next appointment, but he could find nothing. He qas almost as worried about it as I was, but he said it was nothing. He come back in two months.

Thank you all for your support. I am almost ashamed to report nothing wrong.

Male Age 65 non smoker, non drinker T2N1M0 2 Jun 2008 Partial Glossectomy & neck dissection; lymph node tumor right neck 27 Jan 2009 Modified neck dissection, 26 Feb-16 Apr 2009 Erbitux, 9 March - 20 April RT; 11 Sep 2009 lymph node tumor left neck; 4 Nov removal of manubrium and large tumor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users
Forum Statistics