Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

You have all of my best and prayers. Check out COBRA for the Ins. It's a law where the Ins has to keep you on as long as you can foot the bill.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Thanks again for all of the warm wishes!

The news isn't great, yet not surprising. We are hoping/praying for a miracle with the clinical trial. It's only Phase II, so we really don't have any idea how effective it might be. The good news is that the tumors are growing so quickly that we might be able to tell in a week or two if it is working or not. The bad news is that the tumors are growing quickly. The doctor let us know last night that we might be looking at 6mos or less.

Cg to partner, Stage IV SCC of upper left mandible, met to lymph nodes. Dx 4/1/2008. Inopperable, 3 rounds of chemo followed by 2 rounds of chemo with 33 tx of radiation. Growth started again immediatly following. She crossed over November 30, 2008.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

research ways to boost the immune system which may well help the clinical trial to work better and faster. of course always consult with the doctors on measures you wish to take, but it is her body and she can choose to do as she wishes. supplementals have been shown to really boost the effectiveness of many treatments yet some doctors still refuse to admit / recognize how helpful they can be ... the nice thing is many have seen the results now for themselves and embrace it... so research it all and talk to them and see what can be done to make the most of it. best wishes to you and your partner. i am sure this is a very hard time and nothing makes much sense right now. hang in there and let us know what we can do to help in any way we can.

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I know how you must be feeling about now, having been in a similar position less than a year ago. My heart goes out to both of you. Hopefully this clinical trial will buy some time and quality of life for your partner and also you.
You should also make connections with a hospice program so that when the need arises they will be ready to assist you. Maybe this is already in place through your cancer treatment centre. Hospice does a wonderful job with symptom control and emotional support and all the little things that make such a big difference for patient and family dealing with a life threatening illness.
Were you able to get some better pain management and wound care guidance for the neck tumour when you saw the doctors?
Wishing you strength and courage to face the challenging days ahead.

Caregiver to husband Dx. Stage 4 SCC of gingiva with 3 nodes pos. Partial mandiblectomy with bone graft from iliac crest Dec. 2006. IMRT x30, Cisplatin x3. Completed Tx. March 15, 2007. Osteonecrosis & removal of graft & plate Oct. 2007. Recurrence of SCC Dec. 2007. Deceased Jan. 17, 2008.
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

the odour problem with tumours that break through the skin ,has been debated on here many times,and is unfortunately one which never seems to really have a definitive answer.Robs smelt so badly that when he went in to the hospice ,it permeated the whople place.they placed an electronic air purifier outside his door,and a small one with lavender oil under his bed..they also packed his face with charcoal ,which absorbs the odour.the biggest danger with break through,is erosion of the major arteries which can heamorrhage and cause a real medical emergency.

Make sure you speak to a practioner about putting emergency procedures in to place in case of this eventuality.

i wish you luck with the trial..

Liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
OP Offline

Thanks for the advice. In terms of pain management, they are upping the fentnyl patch, increased frequency of oxycodone (every 3 hours), and starting a new pain medication that addresses nerve pain (for both nueropathy and neck pain). We are going to try these and see if they work.

I'll be getting them filled today.

Cg to partner, Stage IV SCC of upper left mandible, met to lymph nodes. Dx 4/1/2008. Inopperable, 3 rounds of chemo followed by 2 rounds of chemo with 33 tx of radiation. Growth started again immediatly following. She crossed over November 30, 2008.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi I am curious to know what med is used for nueropathy and nerve pain as both my husband and I have severe damage due to diabeties...this effects both feet and hands...

Thanks

Dianne

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
OP Offline

I am getting it filled today, so this is just what I can make out from the doctor's script. It looks like Pregabalin? 75mg. I haven't had a chance to look it up online yet. There is also a neuropathy board and someone there mentioned a patch that goes on the feet. I'll see if I can find that again for you.

OP Offline

It is Pregabalin. Apparently it's the generic name for Lyrica.

Thank you but I don't think that is covered under our plan in Canada...Does it work or you don't know yet...I really need something that works... We were given a trial sample of that drug a while back but only 14 days worth and didn't want to start it in case we couldn't get more but if it works it might be something to try to fight for...

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics