Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#83416 11-03-2008 04:05 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello everyone,

I have lurked here off and on. The site has been helpful since I found it. My partner was diagnosed with SCC Stage IV OC. It had spread to the lymph nodes as well. After some pretty aggressive treatment, it does not look like we are going to be one of the luck ones.

Right now the tumor has come through the neck. The smell is pretty intense. Any suggestions? Also, is this any indication of where we are in the process? Does it indicate that we may be close to the end.

The only options we have right now are a clinical trial which she will start hopefully tomorrow.

I feel like we are walking in two worlds...

Cg to partner, Stage IV SCC of upper left mandible, met to lymph nodes. Dx 4/1/2008. Inopperable, 3 rounds of chemo followed by 2 rounds of chemo with 33 tx of radiation. Growth started again immediatly following. She crossed over November 30, 2008.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi JustJan,

Welcome to the site. You have come to the best place on the net for info.

My fathers tumor broke though his neck as well (it oozed a clear and bloody discharge) and I know what you mean about the smell. Mom found herself changing the dressing several times a day (about every two hours) to help with that. I've heard of others on here putting kitty litter in the room where they are to absorb the odor as well as using "stick ups" in the rooms to mask the smell. I'm not sure how well the other two options worked, but I'm sure someone here will chime in soon.

Hang in there and keep coming back.

Joy

CG to Father, 75 yo with SCC of the mouth; upper maxillectomy and neck diss. performed on 5/23/07. Father also suffered heart attack during surgery and now has CHF. RT complete on 8/28/07. Cancer back 11/27/07. RT and Chemo to start on 12/17. Cancer back 6/17/08. Finally at rest 08/08/08.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

My husband's tumor has also broken through and has bleeding and discharge also. The nurse had told us about sprays that can help but they are by prescription and they have to show you how to use them so that's something you might want to check out. My husband is now on Taxol and after the first infusion the tumor has turned into a crater. This, according to his doctor, could be good or bad. We don't know yet how bad it is under the surface as he will have scans in two weeks. He does believe however that it is good because his lungs sound good. He has mets to the lungs so if the tumor was in fact getting worse he would have heard a worsening in the lungs. Just when I thought all hope was lost we got a bit of a break. I really know how hard it is to keep the faith but sometimes that's all we have. Good luck with the trial and please keep us posted.

Sue

cg to husband, 48 Stage 1V head and neck SCC. First surgery 9/07. Radiation and several rounds of chemo followed. Mets to chest and lungs. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." Went home to God on February 22, 2009.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi JustJan,

Don't have much advice about your partner's current situation but my heart goes out to both of you as you struggle with this disease. I hope you both have lots of support from friends and family. Glad you found your way here where support is available 24/7 and everyone is always willing to lend an ear and share their experiences.

Susan

Cancer of Tongue, SCC early Stage 1, Dx 3/13/07, partial glossectomy 4/14/07 found no residual carcinoma and a granular cell tumor with pseudo epitheliomatous hyperplasia.
OP Offline

Don't laugh, but I was terrified that no one would respond. So thanks for all of the responses.

Well, today's the day. We go see the oncologist. I also have to call her boss to let him know that she won't be coming to work and may not be going back. My fear is that she will lose her life and health insurance, though her short and long term disability is through the agency that she works for.

The pain meds aren't cutting it, so we will have to talk about that today. We really need to ask the onocologist some serious questions today. We know that the clinical trial is a shot in the dark, but we need to talk about what it may look like for her if it doesn't work.

Thanks again for all of the responses!

Cg to partner, Stage IV SCC of upper left mandible, met to lymph nodes. Dx 4/1/2008. Inopperable, 3 rounds of chemo followed by 2 rounds of chemo with 33 tx of radiation. Growth started again immediatly following. She crossed over November 30, 2008.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Keep us all posted after you meet with the doctor and lets hope he brings some good news.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Only good thoughts are going with you today...I agreee lets hope the appointment gives you some good news and something to hang on to..

Dianne

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

fingers crossed and will be waiting for good news.

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

Praying for you and your sweetie to have some positive news.

KATE

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

My thoughts are with you...hope the clinical trial does the trick and the news is good. We are with you in spirit.

Cancer of Tongue, SCC early Stage 1, Dx 3/13/07, partial glossectomy 4/14/07 found no residual carcinoma and a granular cell tumor with pseudo epitheliomatous hyperplasia.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics