Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pandora99 #84178 11-14-2008 07:24 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

hi Amy,

i just read about Minnie. kathy and i are very sorry to learn that Minnie's life was shortened by oral cancer. Minnie was\is a fantastic person.

kathy and i were at the oral cancer walk in VA beach. it was a beautiful day, lots of money was raised for the OCF, and best of all, we met fantastic folks whose lives were unfortunately touched by cancer. we recall chatting with Minnie. her uplifting spirit was evident. her pride in organizing an event that brought survivors and medical folks together. We learned things and had fun.

i particularly remember walking a few laps with Danny Boy. he was short in statue but tall in spirit. we smiled and laughed. we talked about survivor things. the sun was on our face and our backs we went around the track.

Minnie and Danny both clearly illustrated to me how important it is to enjoy each day. during a recent visit with a therapist, i was asked what i did each day that made me happy. i'd never thought about this much so my answer was short. the therapist told me to take pleasure in ordinary things that i do routinely. later i realized that i do enjoy those things, but i don't take time to tell myself that. now i count a few blessings each day. its surprising how much better i feel.

i think Minnie and Danny knew how to count their blessings.. and they did it well and spread the sunshine.

i miss them both and all the folks that added to the spirit of the day in VA Beach. that day was a big blessing. thank you for all that you did to make it such a wonderful event.

cu,
larry and kathy bliven
salisbury, MD

'01 diagnosis.. jaw hing and base of tongue. surgery not possible. JHU used radiation and chemo to seemingly rid me of the beast. peg for about 19 months. 100 cases of 24 cans of liquid food. 9 months eating therapy. 3x esophagus stretches. non-smoker. previously a social drinker.
larryfb #84449 11-18-2008 09:55 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I am stunned to read this news today. I am sorry completely sorry to hear that Minnie is gone. I hope your family is lifted by your faith and that you find peace quickly replaces sadness.

Minnie will always remain as a very special person.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Mark #87255 01-03-2009 06:53 PM

I have been off the site for a while ..and I lost my original log in name ...so I am just now finding this out ..

I am soo sorry for your loss, she was an amazing , strong and courageous women , who inspired many of us and got alot of us through some long nights and hard days ....

I wish you and your family peace in the new year

Shar

T1NoMo Left lateral Border of Tongue. 35 at DX
Partial Glossectomy , Modified Radical Neck Dissection
All Nodes Clear... No radiation
Frey's Syndrome & Trigeminal Neuralgia as result of surgery
Shar37 #87284 01-04-2009 05:48 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I am so sorry to hear about your mother's passing. She gave me words of comfort and peace when I needed them the most. My prayers are with you and your family.

Noemi

Brother diagnosed SCC August 2005, radiation and chemo- 2 rounds, total glossectomy Sept. 2007, passed away May 21, 2008
"Everyday is beautiful" he stated on a cold and foggy Chicago winter day.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics