Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Gary #83271 10-31-2008 02:26 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

To Minnie's family, Your Wife, Mom and Daughter will be missed so much. Minnie helped me so many times with this dreaded disease. She was a fighter and I am sure she put up a good one this time, too. I loved her so much and enjoyed the Oral Cancer Walk she organized. She was an awesome woman. I look forward to seeing her again in heaven. May she rest in peace....Love, Carol
p.s. Amy, thank you for always being so kind and answering my emails about your Mom and if I can be of any help, do not hesitate to let me know.

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
Carol L #83279 10-31-2008 04:30 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Amy,
My heartfelt thoughts and deepest symapthy to you, your sisters and your whole family.
I share the loss and sadness that so many have expressed. I also will celebrate and remember her strength, wisdom and spirit that inspired so many people.
Minnie has changed the lives and outlooks of many people and will be deeply missed.
I will certainly always remeber her compassion and positive spirit. I learned a lot from your mother and will miss her.
My prayers go out to all of you.

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Dr. Mike #83281 10-31-2008 04:41 PM
Me2 Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

To Amy and the rest of Minnie's family,

I read about your Mother's hospitalization while I was sitting in the waiting room at MD Anderson to see my doctors for my 2 1/2 year checkup. I felt stricken, because although I never had the priviledge of communicating with Minnie directly, I read so many of her posts to others and also the ones about how much her family meant to her, and felt I knew her through those.

Later that night, after arriving home with an all clear from all my docs, I told my husband how lucky we were and how we had to keep remembering to live each day to the fullest. I just read Gary's post and his words say it best:
"This is the time to love one another, assess your own life and appreciate what you have been gifted with. Honor your spouse and your family (as Minnie so proudly did). Minnies passing is a hard lesson for all of us to make everything we can out of each day (and in her memory)."

My deepest sympathy, thoughts and prayers to all of you...

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!
Me2 #83290 10-31-2008 06:32 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Amy,

I first crossed paths with Mama Minnie, Broadsword, Scuby and Anna during my treatment in September of 2003 on Delphi Forums. I knew instantly that of all things in life, we shared our love of Christ and our love of family. Over the years we had talked so many times of meeting face to face yet time is this elusive thing that has no boundaries. I planned a trip to Rescue with eager anticipation of moving my mother's best friend back to Texas but especially of that magical moment of meeting your mother. I missed the walk because I was too ashamed to admit I couldn't afford it after not working for several years because of my mother's illness, my Hep C treatment and my cancer. The week I was planning the trip, my friend had a fatal heart attack.

This summer I became obsessed with (MY) time and I had told your mother I would find a way to visit her yet now my selfishness has prevented that, at least in this secular world we live in.

Know in your heart that your mother always showed the love of Christ in all she did, all she said and all she lived. Her recent battles were something she faced head on but my cowardice prevented me from being able to face what she was going through. I worked so hard to get people to donate to Minnie's Miracle and really enjoyed the focus and especially the love that surrounded her family in even this endeavor.

I cry for your family because my heart is so heavy yet I smile because I know her love will always be with all of you. I also smile because I know she looked into the eyes of Christ as she heard the word's we all want to hear, "Well done my good and faithful servant!"

Today I pray that God will provide your entire circle of family and friends with comfort and peace; that He will surround you with the many people that have walked by your side through this journey and above all He will fill that special spot in your heart with His love.

I thank you and your family for sharing your wonderful mother with all of us and I also pray that each day will be even a little bit easier and the pain you are experiencing now will be less every day.

I offer my deepest sympathy and condolences for your family and as everyone else is saying, the world is a better and brighter place because of your mother.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
Me2 #83291 10-31-2008 06:37 PM

Amy,
I am so sorry for your loss. I absolutely adored your mom, she helped me and so many others here. Here is something she shared with me, hope it helps. God Bless You all and forever our Dear Minnie.

Top Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Email Topic
Unread By: none

#2115 - 16/09/07 07:22 PM Re: Hello
minniea

Loc: va. beach Hi Donna,
Thank you for the PM, sometimes it's nice to talk "off" the board too.
I come across as strong as I can on the board, and I usually AM strong........but, like you, I have my moments of fear and weakness!
We play the hand we're dealt, don't we? And we play it the best we can, with what we have. God already knows what's going to happen so I trust him, I put it in His hands long ago. I'm like you though, when I'm fearful feeling, I just can't seem to remember how to pray as well, it's tough to explain but I think you understand.

Take care Donna and always know that the days get better and these situations in life always come to an end. I'm thinking of you and your mom.

Love,
Minnie

---------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Min,
Since you are with our friends Petey, Bren and Robin, give them a hug and a kiss from me. I'll miss you always.
Love,
Donna

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.
Donnarose #83319 11-01-2008 04:42 AM

Gary, I conquered my first round of tears at Minnie's death and came back to read your post which brought tears all over again. It was a lovely post. You are right that the absolute best way to honor Minnie is to enjoy our days and moments here on earth, love our family, live our faith, and be compassionate to others who are struggling.

Amy, I valued the interactions I had with your mom because of all the things other people have mentioned here; her deep faith, her overall positivity, her obvious love of her family and concern for other people she met here and all the work she did to help other people going through this. But I will add that one of the reasons I will miss her deeply in addition to all that is that she was such an honest and authentic person. We did a couple of PMs back and forth at one time, when she and I were both struggling with feelings about being on a feeding tube, and she was very frustrated by it right at that point, and said clearly that she didn't think anyone going through cancer treatment should have to always act positive if they were feeling discouraged or like they needed a moment of self-pity. I recall her saying that somewhere in one of her public postings as well though I can't recall what thread it took place in.

In her posts and her pms as well as what she posted to her Carepages, what I loved about Minnie was she let us see her when she was scared and when she was discouraged and was as honest about being in those places as she was about being hopeful and having faith. Her post to Donna above is a great indication of that. As a result, I never felt I had to be anything other than what I was with her and that she would care about me and understand anyway. I think that's the impression she made on most people and I'm sure that's part of what you'll miss about her as a mother.

Amy, last year when your mom found out she had a recurrence I sent her a pm asking her if she minded if I lit a candle for her in our church service and she said she would be honored by that. I will light a candle for her memory in tomorrow's service and for all of her family surviving her. You were truly what she cared about most and was justifiably proud of. Your mom will live on in my memory as long as I live.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Nelie #83320 11-01-2008 05:02 AM

Oh Nelie,
That is a wonderful idea! I will go also and light a candle. There isn't much to help a grieving heart except time, memories and family and most importantly the love you shared with that person.
Gary, Ed, and....so many....each of your posts struck me as so true, and so very healing. I hope all the love shared here aide in the pain they all are suffering inside.
On a personal note, I pray that Minnie finds my brother-in-law's mother, Marian. She was just diagnosed Tuesday with lung and liver cancer, she died 12 hours later. Both of these women were such loving wives, mother's, grandmothers, sisters and friends...I hope they can meet and share in God's love together for a moment and each of their loved ones can be embraced by that love eternally.
God Bless Everyone. I'm on my way to light a candle.
Amy, I hope today is a little easier for you all.
Much love,
Donna

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.
Donnarose #83322 11-01-2008 05:27 AM

Amy, Minnie helped me thru many hard times and I owe her a debt of gratitude and will for the rest of my time on earth. She was a very thoughtful and gracious lady. The family has all of my sympathy. God Bless you all.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #83334 11-01-2008 01:23 PM

I would like to write several eloquent paragraphs as many here have done so well but I will simply say what comes to my mind today as I mourn her death and and think about her legacy here.

The love for her family was so apparent each time she "talked" to us here. She always seemed more worried about them than herself and her illness.

She had so much common sense. Her replys to everyone cut to the chase and I loved that.

I am devastated that she is gone and I will miss her. I will pray that your family, Amy..your dad and all your siblings find strength and love and peace in the coming days and months.

Minnie, God's speed!

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
debandbill #83372 11-02-2008 06:14 AM

What an amazing woman that we have lost. If we were to look in the OCF pages there are hundreds of messages from her. Not counting the private messages that she sent to so many of us. Grateful for her...educated at times by her...comforted by her.
Thank you Minnie- I hope your dancing in heaven!
Jennie

Caregiver to Erik -1st DX 12/22/2005 SCC of Tongue, T3N1M0, hemi-glossectomy,60 nodes removed, carboplatnin,Erbitux, 35Rads.
Reoccurrence T1N0M0 4/14/08-partial glossectomy-16 weeks Erbitux and Taxol-
3rd reoccurrence 5/18/12- partial glossectomy
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37