Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi smile
I had a maxillectomy done in August (upper right jaw removed) along with a tumor in the sinus ...

A few days ago I started getting a stuffed ear feeling on that side. No pain, or anything it just feels stuffed or plugged like it has a cotton stuffed in it.

When I first get up it is not there, but when I start putzing around or esp if I bend over it hits and then lasts most of the day or all of it.

Now colds have been going around and I did sneeze a couple times but other than that have not had the symptoms of a cold (except this if it could be from a cold possibly?)

Also I have been having a problem with my jaw getting tight on me - not opening far enough again, so I have been trying to stretch it a lot and I note when I do I feel / hear a squishy and then poppy feel / sound up by the ear so maybe it is from this as well?

I tried taking benedryl to see if it would change it and it did help SOME but didn't take it all away ... but helped a bit. As I said not painful but sure is annoying.

Anyone experience similar or have any ideas?

Last edited by azcallin; 10-16-2008 08:54 PM.

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Rita:

Ive been thru something similar as to what you described. I have many problems with my range of motion. This for me is due to several factors which include radiation damage, trismus and scar tissue. I also suffer from some pretty bad sinus problems due to lingering late effects of radiation. That just goes into my throat to complicate further problems that I have with my ear being clogged. Basically it all points back to alot of rad damage caused many other issues for me. After months of HBO and physical therapy, I am only able to open my mouth 14mm. Other options arent available to correct my problems.

My advice is stretch those jaws like crazy. Lack of use will only create further complications. Please check with your doctors right away, dont let this go. See your oral surgeon or ENT. Its so much easier to control something like this now than to wait and try to fix it.

Best of luck with this.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

That a girl christine...I was hoping you would answer Rita with your experience I didn't want to say anything. But you are very knowledgeable on this topic. BTW how's it going?

Dianne

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY

Rita:

Another thing, please make sure you tell your doctor everything you wrote here, no matter how trivial you think it could be. All of these things tie into one another and can turn out to become some serious long lasting problems if not addressed. Range of motion is hard to get back when its gone. Dental work becomes nearly impossible. Just please get it checked out and taken care of. (Oh yeah, almost forgot another one) The everybody's different speech, my cancer was located in my left cheeck twice and behind my top left molar which made the radiation go towards my left which is my problem area. My surgery was just to take out the tumor inside my left cheek. I dont have experience with the type of major surgery you have gone thru. I hope Ive been of some help with all my rambling.

Dianne:

Overall, Im doing pretty well. A bit sick with sinus problems which always turn into other things for me. No sense complaining, gotta keep moving on. Thanks for asking.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

thanks so much
i am working it and will work on it till i can chomp on a texas size burger (eventhough i dont eat burgers anymore lol) determined not to lose my jaw opening and have arthritis and have had it since childhood so i am used to working things and no pain no gain issues ... so i can do this smile hearing someone else has been thru it makes me feel more at ease ... thanks again cuz i was wondering what was up

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

My problems were on the left side mostly, but my right ear is the one that gives me problems. It either feels stopped up or has some type of a beat going on in there like a drummer practicing. I was told not to put anything in it including a wash cloth. I do let a little hot water tinse ti when I shower but it doesn't help much. Must be part of the territory for OC.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

EzJim,
Have you consulted an ENT on this? Those wonderful docs do have some expertise in solving and or helping with the sort of problem you describe. I won't pretend I even have the slightest clue what is going on but, I have had patients with similar situations who have been helped by local ENT's.
All the best my friend.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.

Thanks for the advice Doc, I will tell him about it and have meant to, but it seems I forget when I am getting good news. I have a spot on the back of my head that scabs over, the scab comes off and within 2 days another replaces it. Maybe I should write every thing down for when I go to Drs.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Rita....My computer has been in the shop, and I'm glad to make contact with you again.

Yes, I would imagine that the ear problem is due primarily to the surgery, though I don't know why it is just now showing up. I had this problem immediately after my surgery. My dr. said that it might or might not clear up. (It did.) Our surgeries were waaaaay back there, and the nerves to the ear were insulted or damaged. The tiny eustachean tube is operated by nerves that open and close it, and if it can't open, you will feel stuffy-eared. It nearly drove me nuts! I took Sudafed faithfully every four hours and it gradually opened....first a bit at a time, like getting off an airplane, and now it is normal. The dr. said that if it didn't open, he would put a PE tube in the drum and it would help.

sounds like your case is really borderline, and whatever is causing your jaw problem is affecting the ear too.....inflammation perhaps....maybe an anti-inflammatory along with the Sudafed would be a good idea....ibuprofen, perhaps....and of course, you need to run all of this by your dr.

Jaw tightness.....I notice that if I don't work my jaw several times every single day, it feels tighter.....and though I am out of the woods as far as permanent damage there, at first, if I slacked off on the exercises and the therabite, i would really back-slide.

You do need to inform your dr...and in the meantime try Sudafed and ibuprofen (more effective than you'd think), and keep up your jaw exercises...

XO--Colleen

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!

Sounds like you might have fluid buildup behind the ear drum. It's not always accompanied by pain. That happened to me a few weeks ago. Ask your ENT to take a look - they can see it with an otoscope and maybe give you a weeks worth of prednisone to reduce the inflammation. Prednisone is some nasty stuff though - beware of radical but temporary personality changes!

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users