Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Judith #80650 09-18-2008 04:50 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Judith, I know with my husband they did a Dopler test on his flap every couple of hours. It was a wand like machine that they put in his mouth to check the blood flow to the graft. As far as I know he didn't have a scan of the jaw while in the hospital. Keep on pressing for answers-just try not to get frustrated. Some nights I would come home so angry with the stupid answers i got from doctors and/or nurses that it would taint the time I spent with my children. Just be persistent. Good luck with getting your own meds adjusted. You need some peace of mind of your own.

Sue

cg to husband, 48 Stage 1V head and neck SCC. First surgery 9/07. Radiation and several rounds of chemo followed. Mets to chest and lungs. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." Went home to God on February 22, 2009.
suemarie #80659 09-18-2008 06:51 AM
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Judith, can you use the whiteboard to leave questions for Harald's doctors? We did that when my dad was in the hospital and it worked quite well.

Jean

* Root for Joe *
Sister of Joe (43, non-smoker/chewer; occ. drinker). Mouth problem 3/07. Diag with Stage I 6/07. Diag with Stage IV 9/07. In EPOC at Univ of Chicago. Cisplatin/cetuximab 1/wk x 8. Then, IMRT 5x/wk x 7 and weekly chemo. Done 12/21/07. Looks good as of 4/08, 7/08, 8/08, 1/09.
Judith #80672 09-18-2008 02:56 PM
Judith Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all,

Today was a much calmer day for both Harald and I. Im getting used to his coded/signed language, and scribbled notes, and we just seem to be on a better level at the moment understanding each other. I spoke to the doctors today to get some more info. and they say the histopathology will need to be discussed at their multidisciplinary meeting where the surgeons, radiotherapists and oncologists are present in about 10 days. No pathology results are through yet. The doctors have said that to examine the bone specimen microscopically, it has to be decarbonised and its an intricate and lengthy investigation. Im feel much better today. I really cannot take this Vallium any more though, and feel better already and can actually THINK. However still going to GPs tomorrow to get checked out. Harald is doing really well, his chest staples will be out by the weekend, and once his facial swelling subsides, all the neck/jaw staples will be out too. Once they are out the trachy tube is removed too. Thanks so much for your support. Sometimes too much is just too much when you care for someone - I want to, but cannot solve all the problems, that is what the nurses are there for. Bless you all and good night all.

Judith xxxx

ord_dfw #80675 09-18-2008 03:30 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Judith
See the ward sister and demand an appointment with a Doc.
It is easy to arrange, don't let her (or him, there was a male charge nurse, nice guy)
The weekend might be difficult but Monday should be OK.
I have no idea about the scan, but my surgery was different.
Hope when you read this you are feeling better in yourself.
Sunshine.. love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
helen.c #80742 09-19-2008 01:59 PM
Judith Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Jean, about the white board for questions for the doctors - it worked!

Thank you.

Judith xxx

Judith #80796 09-20-2008 09:48 AM

Good - one of the nurses made that suggestion. We used that white board every single day and I hope that it works well for you!

Jean

* Root for Joe *
Sister of Joe (43, non-smoker/chewer; occ. drinker). Mouth problem 3/07. Diag with Stage I 6/07. Diag with Stage IV 9/07. In EPOC at Univ of Chicago. Cisplatin/cetuximab 1/wk x 8. Then, IMRT 5x/wk x 7 and weekly chemo. Done 12/21/07. Looks good as of 4/08, 7/08, 8/08, 1/09.
ord_dfw #81295 09-29-2008 05:32 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi, Judith . . . my Dad had the same surgery as your husband, although his was 21 hours believe it or not. As I am reading all your posts, it brings back all the anxiety and terror that we had with him. My Dad did not remember being in the hospital at all . . he was in for 2 1/2 weeks, then rehab 10 days. I remember well the times he was kind of awful to my Step-Mom . . you always hurt the ones you love and I think that is because you can let your self go and feel as awful and angry as you want to because you know the person who loves you most will forgive you . . . She would cry but she knew it was the drugs and he did not even know what day it was or where he was . . .how terrifying for your husband too . . . especially with a trach . . . I am praying for you and hope you are trying to take care of yourself. I don't know how much to stress that . . being the care giver is something you do not understand unless you have been there. I have seen it all with my Dad and I did not know how I would handle it all from the moment I saw him after his surgery . . but you do it. . . and you live through the tubes and you live through the stitches (he looked like Frankensteins monster, his jaw was rebuilt from his shoulder blade, flap taken from there also). you live through the god awful trach and many times I helped mop that up when I never thought in a million years I would go near it . . but you do it because you love them. I HONOR YOU, JUDITH . . . you are doing a great job and I came here to OCF and cried and complained and banged my head against the wall and these people held me while I did so. You will never find a better place to be I don't know what I would have done . . . Don't ever feel afraid or ashamed to say what ever is on your mind because we have all thought it, felt it and lived it . . .

Hugs to you, Judith . . know that I will be thinking of you both and praying for you from this point on . . . hang in there . . . you are among friends . . .

Laura

Mandibular ressection, flap replacement and bilateral neck dissection 10/25/07. Two nodes cancerous, others clear.
Started IRMT 12/17/07 (34) and ERBITUX ( 6). 7/17/08 cancer returned neck and shoulder area. Passed on peacefully surrounded by love on 9/15/08. And yes, he did see angels. . .

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics