Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#76471 07-03-2008 02:52 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

There were times during my brother's battle that I would have pain in my tongue and ear. I thought they were just "sympathy pains" I felt. Well, today I went to see the ear, nose and throat doctor and he wants to perform a biopsy on Wednesday. CRAZY! He said he probably wouldn't do it if I didn't have a family member who experienced oral cancer. I just hope that it is not positive. I don't think that my family can handle the news. It has only been a month since my brother's passing. I will not tell them unless I get unfavorable results. So, I turn to you all for support and to let others know the importance of "checking things out".

Noemi

Brother diagnosed SCC August 2005, radiation and chemo- 2 rounds, total glossectomy Sept. 2007, passed away May 21, 2008
"Everyday is beautiful" he stated on a cold and foggy Chicago winter day.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Dear Noemi,

My prayers are right there with you. Hang in there and know that the odds are against your having oc. Just try to stay calm while you wait, because--as you know from your brother's experience--each day is its own gift. So don't throw away those days until you hear the news. Regardless of what may be going on, the fact is that ALL we have is right now. That is what counts. I know you don't need me to tell you that, but I just thought that maybe reading it would help you keep today at the forefront of your activities.

So stop for a few minutes and count those blessings you can celebrate, okay? And please keep us posted! We are all keeping our fingers, toes, and legs crossed for you!!!

Good luck, and enjoy your holiday weekend!!!

Non-smoker non-drinker, 50 when diagnosed 9/11/06 stage IV scc of oropharnyx, malignant lymph nodes both sides of neck. Cause=HPV16. Daily chemo & daily IMRT for 7 weeks. In 2 clinical trials at Johns Hopkins, good results. Peg tube out March 07. Update September 2014: gratefully in good health!
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

What's he going to biopsy?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Noemi

What awful news. You are still mourning for your brother and now this frown

Im sending good thoughts your way. Its NOT cancer til they say its cancer. Try to enjoy the holiday and not worry too much. Its good that your doctor is on top of things.

We are here for you.

Christine

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Noemi,
Please G-d, this will prove to be nothing. It is hard advice to follow when you are waiting, but everyone is right, worrying wont change anything. In the meantime, keep very busy and enjoy the weekend with the family. We will worry for you while praying that you hear good news.
Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Malka #76482 07-03-2008 06:32 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

There is no evidence that oral cancer has any familial genetic links. You would have to have the same risk factor influences that he did. So you would have the same degree of risk as any other person not related to your brother, and I would think the doctor's diligence may be as much influenced to comfort you (after what he knows the family has been through) with definitive information than real belief that there is real danger present.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Carol thanks as always. Just a little freaked out. The biopsy is of my right cheek. Thank you Christine. I just think I am more worried about my family. I will tell them them that I had some dental work. It just is CRAZY! Thank you Malka. I know that there is no evidence of genetic links but there just seems to be no true evidence of all cancers. I know that risk factors influence but both being non smokers, drinkers and anything else has me wondering. It seems like I hit a nerve with you Brian. I am sorry but when all I ever hear is "Did your brother smoke" well it kind of t's me off. He didn't have a hazardous job (well he was a cop smile ) As far as the doctor is concerned, I do pay well to have him do what needs to be done with my me and my family. The problem began a year ago and he has monitored the spot on my cheek for some time. He just feels it's time to find out what it is. It is what it is and there is nothing I can do. I know that I did not write for my comfort, although I feel that this wonderful site has given me so much these past few months. I just needed to vent because I have no brother to talk to anymore.

Brother diagnosed SCC August 2005, radiation and chemo- 2 rounds, total glossectomy Sept. 2007, passed away May 21, 2008
OP Offline

Boy I made a record for typos.

"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Little Sis

try not to worry too much.I had the same thing happen to me last December just a few weeks after robin died.I wetn to the dentist to have a tooth removed,and three days later i was sitting in a hospital in leeds having a doctor poking around in my mouth.

I was terrified,but very impressed with my dentist who bless him was mortified about sending me to the hospital.All was well and nothing more than an irritated and slightly infected area of gum where i had an extraction 6 years ago.

I wish you good luck and will be thinking of you

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Man, are you reading more into this than I said. You didn't hit a nerve with me, I was merely stating a fact that I thought might ease your mind. There ARE cancers in which there is a genetic predisposition for people to get them, but this is not one of them. There are also cancers that we have no clue as to why people get them. In 95% of the cases oral cancer is not one of them.

I didn't say anything about smoking, and to be honest I don't remember if it was a factor with your brother, and I didn't ask with you. I speak with about 10 cancer patients a day. I answer another 15-20 private emails a night, and when I have time, I post what I hope will be helpful comments here. If you think that I can remember the details of every person I have talked with or about in the last 7 years of doing this every day, you are very wrong. So I speak in generalities in some cases. Yours for instance. I figured someone going in for a biopsy, who didn't mention anything in their post about any risk factors like smoking, drinking etc., but only a possible familial relationship link to the oral cancer as a risk factor, might have their level of anxiety relieved some by knowing that wasn't likely.

So you can come here and vent all you want, but jumping on my shit because you read something into my reply which didn't exist, which was intended to ease your mind some, doesn't qualify as venting. Everyone is sympathetic to your loss, me included.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics