Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Sophie H. #70958 03-03-2008 05:44 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

...NOT another one, not Jim....We're praying earnestly for him!
Damn this demon cancer!

Buzz had hallucinations during his hospitalization...saw 'blue men' working in the ceiling, etc.

Can't the PEG just be pushed directly into his stomach? I'm sure he is getting proper hydration via IV's, but I know he needs nutrition...

PLEASE keep us posted and tell him how much we love him!

Lois & Buzz in NC

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi All... i just wanted to let you all know i did get to talk to Jim on the phone while his daughter was there with him last night.. i didnt really understand what he said most of the time but at least he was able to get on the phone...Lori said the dr. said it would be good for him to have some familier faces around and he wants to see me so i am going down this morn and see him.. she said that perked him up a bit to know i was coming.. and yes i may not be there living with him but i do care for him and hope every thing goes ok and he gets better.. i will stand behind him and his healing and be there for him thru this... he has been giving the nurses a hard time and im sure its got alot to do with his meds but from being on this site with Jim im sure you all know what a charactor he can be also,, i hope by my going to see him today that it helps him alot,, from our conversation on the phone i could understand him telling me to be careful on my way down and the last thing he said was "luv ya babe" so i hope my visit helps him out a little...
i will post later to let you know how things went while i was there with him....

Barb
BarbT #70971 03-04-2008 04:28 AM
Me2 Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hope Jim is doing better. Older people can react very dramatically to being hospitalized, pain and other medications, etc. At one point my father did not even recognize me during his hospitalization - he asked me very beligerently why I kept calling him "Dad" and he tried to hit me and the PT - so out of character for my reserved, proper English Dad. My sister and I had to have a major confrontation with the doctors and nurses to A) Get them to stop pumping him full of meds that were only compounding the problem and B) Realize that there was also probably more going on than they were seeing - in his case, he had an infection in his central line and they did not realize it. (they thought he always acted like that - go figure!)

So it's really important to have people around who know and love Jim and can act as his advocate....

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!
Me2 #70978 03-04-2008 09:03 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

This is not unusual. After a 15 hour surgery, I was so full of all kinds of meds that I thrashed around for 3 days. When I woke up they had tied me to the bed. My plastic surgeon thought that I was doing this on purpose. I have no recollection of any of it! You would think the docs and nurses would see this stuff all the time! I was mortified.
Good news is when I did wake up, there certainly was no pain.
They still kept giving me oxycodone every 4 hours. It took months to get my head screwed back on right.
Just give it time.
Debbie

Partial mandibulectomy and neck dissection 2/3/07. T2NOMO.
Had 14 hour operation which included reconstruction of jaw.
Reconstruction failed. Some radiation, no chemo.
Suess57 #71018 03-05-2008 08:40 AM

Well, we went to see Jim, yesterday. They finally got an IV in him, but cannot put in the feeding tube. He didn't look too good. There was so many things that happened, yesterday, while visiting him, and I'd rather not go into detail. Let's just say, my brother needs a direct miracle from God. Thank you for your prayers. That's what's getting Jim and us through all of this. They did have him tied to the chair because he fell Saturday night. He was still trying to get out of the chair, yesterday, when we were leaving. He did have a really good moment and told us,"I need to get better and get out of here!" I called this morning, and they said he was still confused and they had to give him pain medicine 2 times through the night. They took him off the morphine pump. He was trying to talk to us. Some things you could understand, but the majority of it was so mumbled, you couldn't understand what he was saying. There were some other things that happened, but I just can't share them on here. Please keep praying, because Jim needs a miracle from God right now. I'll let you all know what happens next. Love to all, Carol

Last edited by Carol Cunningham; 03-05-2008 08:46 AM.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

To Carol, Meg, Barb and all there who are suffering through this ordeal,
Whenever you visit or speak to Jim let him know that there is a long list of people on this board who are praying for his recovery and expect him to come back on line soon. Let him know that we are waiting for his personal report and send wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Malka #71026 03-05-2008 09:52 AM
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Lets all just pray this is just morphine psychosis,and he will settle now the pump is out.

prayers are with you Jim.

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Cookey #71027 03-05-2008 10:03 AM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Carol and Barb thanks for the updates. I am still praying for Jim. My heart goes out to Jim's family and Barb. Its very difficult to see someone you love going thru this. Please keep the updates coming, we are all pulling for him.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
ChristineB #71038 03-05-2008 01:15 PM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

COME ON JIM I'M PULLING AS HARD AS I CAN FOR YOU !!!!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #71041 03-05-2008 04:38 PM

hello everyone... just wanted to let you all know this is the second day in a row that i seen jim.. yesterday wasnt real good at all i think the meds are a big part of whats got him so confused and he really is seeing alot of things and talking to people from the past.. it scared me... now today wasnt as bad.. hes still talking off the wall and seeing elephants and stuff but he was able to stay awake the whole time i was there even tho i told him he needed his sleep.. its like he was a diffrent man.. as of 4:30 this afternoon he didnt have any pain meds at all and he didnt seem like he was in much pain at all either,, they have cut alot of his meds that he was taking at home also.. i think they said hes getting the zantac and a blood thinner.. no BP meds and BP has been good.. but i guess after loosing so much weight the BP would go down also.. had a good report from the dr also today...the dr. said the cancer is gone and he doesnt need anymore treatments and the tongue and mouth look great.. now he does have an abnormality on the right side of his neck that the dr did treat with rads to keep it from getting larger and the dr wants to remove that in a month or so.. the thing right now is to get him to a place where he can get 24 hour care right now,, the dr said today that hes ready to send him home from the hospital as long as hes got a place to go..

like i said i just cant beleive the difference in what a day can make on a person... its amazing...

take care all... Barb

Barb
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37