Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5598 06-24-2005 07:33 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi everyone,

Some of you already know through other posts on the forum, that I planned an educational seminar for my staff and the other doctors in my office. This past Tuesday, Barbara Boland (bobb131), a member of this forum and tongue cancer survivor, presented an extremely informative and educational seminar in my office. There were about 25 doctors, hygienists and support staff in attendance. Eva Grayzel, another member and tongue cancer survivor, came down to meet Barb and hear her presentation.

Through the use of power point, handouts and verbal skills, Barbara provided us all with a wealth of new information and screening techniques. We have already put into action some of her suggestions and added to our current screening routine. We have ordered a supply of ViziLite kits and packages of the pins which are for sale through the OCF store.

The goal of our office is to provide our patients with the most comprehensive head and neck examination possible and to spread the word about the importance of "Early Detection". Having me, a doctor in the practice, who had a Stage I squamous cell carcinoma, provides us with the perfect example of how successful catching "it" early can be.

Thank you Barb for your time and your eagerness to share all of this with us. Thank you Barb and Eva for your friendship and helping me get through my cancer experience.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Jerry, I am delighted to read of your promotion oral cancer awareness (with Barb). I am sending a copy of your post to my (oncology)dentist who sometimes feels like a voice in the wilderness.
That seems to be how progress is made...one small step at a time by people who care.
I'm not glad you had OC, but I'm sure glad you're here at the forum.
Fran B.

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Jerry,

Hats off to you! I wish there were more proactive docs/dentists like you. Keep up the good work!!!

Rick T
Stage II SCC(T2N0M0). Dx:Jan.05 Surgical removal w/Neck Dissection (nodes clear) Feb 1,2005.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23