Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jc Offline OP
OP Offline

My brother had his pick in today and had his first radiation and chemo. When he was at chemo they asked him why he was having radation first in the morning and then chemo afterwards. They said it was usually the other way around. That concerned him and couldn't find anyone to answer why that was. He wanted me to ask you all what you think. Why do you think they would do that? They also gave him a fanny pack type unit that feeds chemo 24 hours a day. Has anyone else had that? I sent him all the items that have been mentioned on this website. They told him to only use ivory soap when washing, no aquaphor on his neck when it starts to burn and scab up. I told him that was fine. Whatever they recommend we would get for him.
Thanks for your suggestions. I told him I would call him tomorrow with your ideas. My brother is at the Ann Arbor VA in Michigan.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

No no no no no, It is much better to have radiation first then chemo afterwards. What if you sick and puke in the mask while you are on the table. He just should just reply "you don't know jack".

He should get Radiacare for his neck. Ask the RO people, they usually have small sample tubes. Make sure, though, that his neck is clean and dry just before each radiation treatment. Some lotions can have a bolus effect and can exacerbate the skin damage. Many people getting radiation don't have anything worse than a mild sunburn, so just take it each day as it comes. When it gets itchy, towards the end of treatment, DON'T SCRATCH IT! They gave me a steroidal cream and it took the itching right away. I only had to use it a couple of times.
Can't address the chemo schedule, I had 2 Cisplatin infusions 3 weeks apart.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Ivory soap???? I have never heard that one before. I don't know what I would have done with the Aquaphore and the other lotion (cannot remember the name at this moment) that I used. My neck had a few open areas on it near the end and the lotion made it feel much better. Someone needs to question whoever gave your brother all this info. Sounds like some aid that was misinformed.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

I was told specifically to use ONLY Dove soap, but at this distance cannot remember why. I still use it though, having bought a LOT of it on sale way back then. That was before the burning began and I switched to Aquaphore and other good stuff. I think the soap business is they do not want any perfumes or additives on your skin when you are having treatment.

Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

My husband John had cisplatin 3 times and every time it was in the morning. All his daily radiation treatments were scheduled for late afternoon.

On the days he had the chemotherapy administered he would, as Gary suggested, worry about being sick when he had the mask on, but was lucky that never happened. Once John was in treatment, I didn't have any sense that they linked the order of giving the chemo/radiation to effectiveness. They gave the first chemo a couple of days after starting radiation and the last one a few days before ending the radiation.

Caregiver for John SCC left tonsil Stage III/IV dx Sept 05, tx started Oct 21/05 -IMRT 35, cisplatin 3 X 100mg/m2;completed Dec08/05.
jc Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you to all your replies. My brother thanks you from the bottom of his heart. When I talk with him he asks me how you all are doing. I wish he had and knew how to use the computer. I'm thinking when this is all over and he has some energy we'll have to see about a computer.
Thanks, Jan

Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi,

I fpound that if I took my nausea meds regularly, i had little trouble. it didn't matter much to me, when I had my chemo and radiation. taking the anit-nausea meds regularly kept me from problems. I find most people seem to think they should take when the nausea strikes. I went for the preemptive approach and it worked for me.

Steve

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.

I had radiation first then chemo on my chemo days. I agree with Gary that it's the better way since bad nausea when you are lying under that mask is tough.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"

For what it is worth, I was told only Dove or Olay soap before treatment. I think they want to keep the skin moisturized as much as possible with none of those other perfumes etc ingredients. After radiation treatment, you then may use the Aquaphor or whatever lotion they are recommending. I found Biafine to be the best for me, but people have found others that work better than Aquaphor. I think Florida Bill just mentioned one in a previous post that he bought at Walgreens.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

My husband was treated at Johns Hopkins, and generally they tried to arrange radiation in the morning and chemo in the afternon, for reasons stated above. This was not always possible, there was a lot of demand for the tomoTherapy radiation machine and I know some of the folks had to take chemo in the am and radiation in pm. Usually the powerful anti-emetics given with the chemo drugs were enought to stifle nausea that day, but residual nausea was sometimes an issue on following days --especially if the chemo drug was cisplatin.

Those taking amifostine (Ethyol) had a whole other issue to deal with, nausea was often an after-effect of the injection. Thus the need to take Zofran or similar serious anti-nausea drug 90 minutes before the amifostine injection, and hope that it worked!

My husband was not given amifostine on chemo days, and (later into treatment) Fridays as by the end of the week, fatigue coupled with lingering chemo nausea made him very vulnerable to a bad reaction to the Ethyol. He got sick a couple of times and decided to bag Fridays. It did not seem to reduce the efficacy of the amifostine, by the way, as he came through with good salivary function.

Gail

p.s. Oh, the oncology nurses all said, "use Dove soap.."

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics