Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33085 01-02-2004 12:49 AM
Angela Offline OP
OP Offline

Mom's fistula on her face keeps on growing. The hole is now from the edge of lip to the ear, from cheek to chin. We can see th bone from the broken face. The redish/cranberry-sized lump keeps on growing around the wound, with one near the ear hole and one on lip edge about to break & decay soon. Mom is still struggling to drink with zipping straw, and eat with small spoon. We apply Supraborb A calcium alginate would dressing due to the heaving draining. But once the two lumps break, there will be no more mouth but a large hole! Is there a way to stop the cranberry lumps? Mom's eye lids become swollen too. But she still manage to sew with one eye open. How strong and courageous she is, but we just cannot do anything to help?

#33086 01-04-2004 01:45 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Angela, sorry no one has responded to you yet...I`ve dealt with a lot of fistulas with Frank.What does the doctor say about the cranberry lumps. It sounds to me like granulation tissue, if so, the wound is trying to heal. After one of Frank`s surgerys, he came home with whole side of his face exposed including bones because a graft wasn`t possible.....as far as treatment, all we ever did was wet to dry dressings. I know fistulas are scary as hell........Frank`s usally appear on his neck now.............If you haven`t yet, ask the doc what the cranberry stuff is exactly...............Love, and Prayers, Dee

#33087 01-05-2004 01:22 AM
Angela Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for responding, Dee. The doctors did not explain anything except by saying repeatedly that "we are sorry, that is the way the cancerous cells develop. Do you need more pain killer?" I try to find out more about wound caring, and find the description about ulcerating malignant skin lesion with nodular growth matching what's happening with mom. There is no sign of healing, the nodules keep growing, now behind her ears and extend to lips, and then burst with yellowish powdery substance and then a new cavity is formed. Mom is also complaining about sore throat recently, and her left eye keeps swelling. In Frank's case, did his face heal? I just want to know what to expect next.

#33088 01-05-2004 03:00 AM

Angela, yes, frank`s face did heal, but he still gets fistulas.....I have never heard nor seen anything that you describe happening with you Mom, with the yellow powder..........Prayers and Love, Dee

#33089 01-08-2004 01:19 AM
Angela Offline OP
OP Offline

Mom is admitted to the hospital today due to bleeding. It is the second time since Saturday, and it becomes harder for her to take care of herself at home. She always treasures her freedom of movement, cooking for herself, sewing her own masks with soft materials, etc. Here in Hong Kong, the hospitals are restricting the number of visitors and only allow two hours a day. She can change her dressings twice a day at home but the medical staff don't have time to do it so frequently. It is hard for her to talk due to the wound. Hope that she can receive good care.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23