Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32768 02-10-2003 07:10 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi well I am back again with and update from the Mayo Clinic, Danny had his appointment today another Biopsy is scheduled for Feb 21st. The doctor says perhaps he will have to put a Trach in at that time of the Biopsy. Danny did not like that but he gave his permission only if need be and he does not want to keep it there. Also, they found something at the base of his tongue does not know why that was not Biopsied before in December. Wants to go down his throat and clean it up sees alot of things in the scans that needs attention. He seems like a doctor that wants to get to the bottom of Danny's pain and will take the time to do so. I sure hope so I really am worried he seems to not be responding like they thought he would. I guess second opinions are good to have. My question is the drug that Danny has been taking for his appetite enhancer is a steroid that body builders and atheletes use to bulk up, is this habit forming? The name of the medicine is Megace, has anyone ever taken it before. It does make him hungry but of course liquids and soft foods is all he can eat. He did put 2 pounds back on in a week. Please let me know about this because I do not here of any of you talking about this drug. Thanks Bobbie

bobbie jensen
#32769 02-13-2003 04:32 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Megace (Megestrol acetate) is a man-made substance called progestin which is similar to the female hormone progesterone. It is often used in the treatment of breast cancer. Megace is also used as an appetite stimulant to treat HIV wasting.

Breast cancers are affected by hormones - that is, they rely on supplies of specific sex hormones, such as oestrogen, to grow. On the surface of the cancer cells there are proteins called receptors which are sensitive to the sex hormones. The easiest way to understand the significance of these receptors is to compare the process to that of a lock and key. When the sex hormones come into contact with the receptors they unlock or activate the cancer cells to divide and the tumour grows. Megace disrupts this process in some way. It may be that it prevents the cancer cells from maintaining the receptors on their surface, effectively removing the lock. Or it may have a more direct means of destroying cancer cells that has not, as yet, been identified. The most commonly reported side effect for those patients using Megace is an increase in appetite, causing some people to put on weight. As Megace is an appetite stimulant, (as a side effect) it can sometimes be helpful for people experiencing loss of appetite and weight loss due to advanced cancer.

At the VIIth International Conference on AIDS in Florence, Italy several placebo-controlled studies demonstrated that Megace is effective in producing weight gain in patients with advanced HIV disease.The largest study was a multi-center trial sponsored by Bristol-Myers (the manufacturer). Participating were 278 patients with more than 10% weight loss, anorexia, and absence of infections. Patients were randomized to receive either placebo or one of three doses of Megace (100 mg, 400 mg or 800 mg). Of the first 176 patients analyzed, 62.7% assigned to Megace at 800 mg/day gained more than 5 lbs. Only 16% of patients receiving placebo gained more than 5 lbs. The average weight gain for the group receiving Megace was 7.8 lbs. compared to an average loss of 1.5 lbs. for placebo recipients.

In another study reported in Florence similar weight gains were noted with Megace at doses of 400 mg/day and 800 mg/day, but not at 100 mg/day. Side effects included gastrointestinal upset and impotence in a few patients. Similar results were obtained in a study conducted by the New York Community Research Initiative (CRl), which showed that doses of Megace above 100 mg produced an increase in fat-free mass and body fat, as well as improvement in perceived quality of life. No evidence of a favorable effect on the immune status (T4 cells) or effects which may prevent weight loss during disease complication was noted in this study. Megace is synthetic progesterone. Progesterone is a female hormone. Patients on Megace tend to gain fat, according to studies using therapeutic doses of 800 mg/day. Many people use a lot less than that. A slow weight gain associated with lower than established therapeutic doses may promote gain of muscle mass.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#32770 02-13-2003 05:58 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Brian for explaining this to me. You seem to always make me understand what is going on more than the doctors. I really appreciate this, and hope his biopsy goes well. Bobbie

bobbie jensen

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics