Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi..My husband is in his 5th week now and basically drinks milk and takes Nutren by his feed tube. He saids everything tastes likes metal including water. Any suggestions as to what anyone has found tastes normal as this point??

Carol CG to Husband age 60 Stage IV SCC right tonsil T4AN2B tx rad x 35 chemo x 2 Currently after treatment no sign of cancer in throat. (all clear to date)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

He's exactly where I think everyone else is/was at, nothing tastes normal.

For me nothing tasted like anything. Water, nuclear waste...woudn't have mattered. I couldn't have told the difference for weeks. When things started to taste like something again, everything tasted like rusty metal for a long time. It does come back, it just takes time
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

The only thing I enjoyed was my morning Starbuck Frappachino (the bottled vanilla). Someone on this forum mentioned it and I had one a day up until yesterday when I found chia ice tea tastes okay (4 weeks out from treatment). No food tasted normal, but I ate scrambled eggs almost every day, so they weren't gross.

SCC, right tonsil, T1N0MO, G3, HPV-33 positive, 7 wks IMRT 2/21/07-4/13/07, 48 year old female when diagnosed, non-smoker, weekend wine drinker, tumor and both tonsils removed. Ethyol for 3 weeks; no peg; only minimal longterm side effects
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

The only thing that Jack could taste during treatments was cream cheese. He added that scrambled eggs to give them some taste and that seemed okay. Nothing tastes normal it's more like which is the least offensive. It all came back though. Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.

I agree with Wayne about everything tasting terrible. I didn't have a PEG, so whatever I ate went past my taste buds, which were in bad shape most of the time. While I normally enjoy food, I got used to the fact that for several months I would hate mealtime -- it was simply the key to survival.

One of the things that motivated me was the fact that early on I told my RO I did not intend to lose any weight. (I had no idea how hard it was going to be to try to follow through on this, and as it turned out I lost a little over 10% of my pre-cancer weight.) I experimented with a great variety of soft and semi-liquid things and didn't really like any of them -- the metallic taste seemed to be everywhere. The important thing right now is for him to get his daily nutrition quota however he can -- the taste buds can't be allowed to interfere with that.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

I didn't have the Peg and I lost 30% of my body weight and went to the ER 3 times during my ordeal with the last ER visit coming in week 2 Post Tx.

Like everyone else I hated to "eat" because nothing tasted the same. Some things tasted horrible. I was never a sweets eater before Tx but for some reason I never lost my taste for things that were really sweet. To this day, 8 months post Tx, sweets are my strongest taste but strangley enough that doesn't include fruits. I used to eat fruits all the time and now they still taste yuckey. Go figure.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Wow David. You are exactly the opposite from me. I am 2 and 1/2 months post treatment and the only taste that has not come back is sweets. That's probably a good thing concerning my radiated teeth. Actually, I have switched from sweets to fruit.

11/28/2006. Left lateral tongue, partial glossectomy, T3, moderately differentiated. 12 lymph nodes from neck, all clear. IMRT, 30X, ended 02/21/2007.

Someone suggested eating with plastic utensils to help get rid of the metallic taste. Give it a try.

I don't remember a metallic taste, but I do remember cardboard. Like Gary, I didn't have a peg so had to eat or drink it regardless of what it tasted like. I lived mostly on Ensure Plus, coffee or butter becan flavored, for about 6 weeks, mostly during radiation (no chemo). A couple of weeks after radiation I was eating things like cream soups or scrambled, soft boiled or poached eggs, cream of wheat cereal, etc and supplemented it with the Ensure Plus to get the maximum number of calories and protein per day. I needed 80 gm protein at 120lbs. Sweet was the last taste to come back and seemed to take forever, about 6 months, although I do remember eating French Toast with lots of butter and syrup fairly early. You just have to keep experimenting and not give up. It's might frustrating, but most of us get it all back, so sooner than others.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I found that food that was salty, or that you would add salt to tasted less gross. I ate cottage cheese, ricotta, some scrambled eggs, etc. I found that I needed to add some grape, or apple juice to water to make it palpable. About 4-5 weeks post, I started eating very small bites of meat, and salmon. I found sweets the worst and the longest to get used to again.(I now seem to be making up for that). I also went without a peg and lost about 20-20% of body weight. Good luck.
Rob

6-05, Left Tonsil-T1N2bM0 stageIVA, chemo(Cisplatin), radiation(6660cGy), neck disection, no PEG. HPV negative. (Doc suspects posit)
3-9-09 last of 30 HBO treatments.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Just an update, my husband is home for the weekend and wondered if we had baby carrots and yellow beans. I immediately went to the store and bought 5 cans of each. Whatever it takes to get through this thing. He is now eating oatmeal, milk, baby carrots and yellow beans of course almost pureed.

Carol CG to Husband age 60 Stage IV SCC right tonsil T4AN2B tx rad x 35 chemo x 2 Currently after treatment no sign of cancer in throat. (all clear to date)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users