Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#25622 06-02-2003 05:25 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

While not water exactly, he is right, it is usually lymphedema, or the collection of lymph fluids that are trying to find new pathways out of the injured area. Massage from the neck towards the chest helps over the long run, but many of us have it permanently... This topic has been discussed several times, and if you use the message board search engine you will likely find those threads that will give you more comments

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25623 06-02-2003 06:37 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I have experienced the shock sensation as well. It would trigger anytime I looked down while walking and almost incapacitate my thighs/legs. Mine went away about two months ago. I'm 9-mos out of radiation and chemo. Found out about it first by reading on this site.
Seems to me this is occuring in a higher percentage than 5%.

Weldon

SCC Stage IV , Surgery-Rad-Chemo finished 9/02

#25624 06-02-2003 08:44 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

The shocking sensation has almost completely disappeared , now that I am 9 months finished with radiation. Fortunately the big double chin seems to be gone most of the time as well.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#25625 06-02-2003 10:42 AM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Brian
Thanks for the input. Again you amaze me.I'll check the search
Diane

#25626 07-18-2003 03:44 PM

I am recovering from stage 4 tonsil tumor, had surgery in Nov, 02 and radiation treatments, I too have felt this electrical charge, and also experience tingling in my hands. Did not know these were side effects of treatment. Isn't it wonderful how forewarned we are? Its been a learn as I go along experience, for sure,as so many issues were not discussed, but perhaps if they were, I would have declined treatment. I am happy to read that these feelings do go away in time. Thanks all for sharing!

#25627 07-18-2003 04:13 PM

Karen,
I have to say that I learned a lot more here than I did at the hospital. I think that even if the docs tried to explain everything to us, we can only absorb so much when we are first diagnosed and processing and dealing with so much.

Of course when we are told that we will have a
"dry mouth" following radiation, it sounds like a pretty minor side effect when your life is at stake. However once treatment is over and you deal with the constant dry mouth, it is a major nuisance...but what choice did we have?

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#25628 07-18-2003 09:54 PM

Danny G, I can't agree with you more. I once laughed at having a dry mouth in exchange for my life before and during my treatment. What a small price to pay! But the story is totally different when the treatment is over and then the dry mouth becomes dominant. It can be a very big nuisance especially on dry days and when you want to enjoy some food like biscuits, nuts, meat, etc. Yet, what can we do? Nothing but to learn to cope with it and accept it as a part of our life.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#25629 07-19-2003 06:41 AM

WOW! Could not agree with you all more. The dry mouth is, for sure, a mega handicap. I can not/will not go anywhere , even a few feet away without my water bottle or othere liquid vessel! Any mouthful of anything, I need to gulp liquid so it will go down my throat, otherwise it just sits there, no matter how soft. I am taking a drug called "salagen" which may or may nopt stimulate my salivary glands. Been on it one month and so far, no success. I also use salivart, which is an artificial saliva, helps, but is nothing like the real thing. I also use Biotene "dry mouth" gum. It helps. I could not use it before because it burned in my mouth, but now it is o.k. Biotene also has a toothpaste I use. Having no saliva is also playing havoc with my gums. Go figure. The one thing I was always blest with was great teeth. Oh well.

#25630 07-19-2003 12:44 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I too find my dry mouth less than fun. But I have found many ways around the issue. When I ride my motorcycle or hike I have a water bladder from Camelback in my jacket on in a fanny pack. Both hands free, and a little drinking tube hinging over my shoulder. At restaurants I look for the wet things for sure. and I always ask for extra sauce... Many times I just squirt my water bottle into the pasta or mashed potatoes or whatever, and presto, it's something that goes down easy. While I understand the recent posts here regarding the issue of dry mouth, those who are calling this a Major issue in their lives should take a pause. I'd like you to think about all those members and others who are coming to the boards who have lost their mandibles, major portions of their face, enough of their oropharynx to need permanent PEG feeding for the rest of their lives, and consider how lucky we all are. Not just to be here, but to have the minimum deficits that we are all learning to work around and live with. A mega-handicap?..... give me a break. A nuisance for sure. Things could be a hellava lot worse. We all need to bitch and whine once in a while. God knows I'm the biggest whiner around. But try to keep a little perspective. For those that have been here for awhile, think about what Packer 66 is thinking about these posts.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25631 07-19-2003 01:05 PM

CHILL!! WOW! Yes, I am a newcomer. Also know how lucky I am and that things could be oh so much worse. Not naive to that at all! When I say mega handicap, it was a comparison to what use to be is all, not to what could be. Take a break, and a breath of fresh air partner! Rule #1...things could always be worse. Just venting and was hoping for some insight old timer, not to be berated, I know things could definitely be worse. Know all about using a water bottle, Even when I drive my boat at great speed, the water bottle and tube is there for me as well! This definitely is a learn as you go along process. The juicier, the better, on the food issue, for sure. More liquid, more sauce, more butter, whatever it takes!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users