Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25303 07-13-2002 06:31 PM
OP Offline

My husband had his apt with the radiation oncologist yesterday, to receive the recommended post-surgical plan. He said they want to start radiation and chemo immediately. We had seen the hip surgeon who also wanted to do a total hip replacement surgery immediately, before radiation, but the oncology doctors were adamant that the radiation cannot wait. I think they said the lymph nodes had 'capillary extensions', which makes the timing urgent.

We're pretty concerned about this chemo. In 1996, he had chemo at M.D. Anderson in Houston. It was supposed to be 3 sessions of 3 days of chemo each at 3 week intervals. It was a combination of Cisplatin and other poisons. It was unbearably hard 3-5 days after the treatment and we thought he was surely dying each time, as he literally couldn't even lift his head from the pillow. On top of that, the chemo was a failure: the tumor grew dramatically, and after 2 treatments, they stopped it and dismissed him, saying that the tumor was now too large for surgery.
Shands offered us hope, when M.D. Anderson gave up, and gave him the max radiation possible to reduce the tumor and he was able to then have surgery. They also said that in their experience, chemo was ineffective for squamous cell cancer.
Now Shands says that the radiation and chemo combination has had the best results. They said it would just be Cisplatin, not a combination.

We meet next week with the chemo doctors, and I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before then. We are wondering if there is a standard chemo protocol for post oropharyngeal cancer surgery and if it is easier with "just" Cisplatin.
Actually, I'm wondering how in the world he'll be able to survive radiation AND chemo in his already weakened state. If the chemo protocol is the same, maybe I should ask that he be kept in the hospital for the 3-5 days after the treatment, when he'll be the worst. He is already on the strongest Perkocet and Compazine full time. I can't imagine him getting sicker and functioning well enough for me to be able to bring him in for radiation. (This treatment center is 2 hours from home, and since he'll need radiation twice a day, we'll be taking our motorhome and just camping out there.)

I know I'm stressing in advance, but knowledge is the best stress control...and being as prepared as possible.
Well, thanks for listening. I'd really appreciate your information and comments.
Sincerely,
Betty
p.s. Joanna, I saw your post about Cisplatin - my husband also lost much of his hearing.

#25304 07-14-2002 06:15 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Betty, I can't comment on any of this since I was a lucky one that did not have to either the Chemo or RAD. Just a note to send you some positive thoughts and energy. Your husband will be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care. Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
#25305 07-14-2002 11:30 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I am currently going through both chemo with cisplatin and radiation therapy. the cisplatin alone really isn't that bad...i'm pretty tired but have been able to control any nausea with compazine. the reasoning behind giving the cisplatin with the radiation is that the drug enhances the effectiveness of the radiation, as well as providing the benefits of chemotherapy.
i wish your husband well, and will pray for him to get through this ok.

I survived because I kept hope alive!!! Live, laugh, love and keep fighting hard.
Jeanette
Stage 3 oral cancer...over 60% of tongue and all lymph nodes on right side removed...July 2002.
Chemo and Radiation...ended September 2002.
#25306 07-20-2002 12:46 AM
Eli Offline

Hi, my sister is taking cisplatin and 5-fu for her base of tongue tumor. Her nausea so far has not been that bad. If its effective we don't know yet but I can say that the pain has gone, where once it was unbearable and she also had a small lesion on the side of her tongue which has disappeared. Another common cocktail of chemo is Taxatere, 5-FU and Cisplatin. I have corresponded with a gentlemen who had success with the treatment when in conjunction with radiation. Good Luck.

#25307 07-24-2002 06:01 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for your feed back. We really appreciate it. Tomorrow we find out the plan. Will let you know how it goes.
You all are wonderful! Information, inspiration and support.
Thank you. Hugs to all!
bb

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916