Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#25152 12-18-2007 12:56 PM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

What is GERD?

What is Nexium?

The ENT I went to which was doctor number 4 out of 5 until I got the correct Dx, probably saw 2 cancers a year so That's why I went to number 5 which was Moffit Cancer Center and the rest is history.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#25153 12-18-2007 07:20 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

GERD is Reflux disease, over production of acid in the stomach that can produce burns in the esophagus that can lead to Barrett's cellular changes to protect the tissues, and potentially esophageal cancers. Nexium is a proton pump inhibitor drug which also has an OTC version (its own previous incarnation) called Prilosec OTC, which reduces the amount of acid the stomach produces bringing things under control long enough for the burned tissues to heal, hopefully preventing the formation of Barrett's tissues in the esophagus. This particular cancer is one of the fastest growing in incidence the US today.

The acids produced by GERD can actually get high enough to affect the arynx and cause hoarseness. But overall I don't care for how this doctor has handled you. He shows no inclination to be concerned with tobacco cessation which the drug he didn't want to provide you with has a good track record of helping people quit. He was going to provide antibiotics without knowing what the infection might have been, it could have been different types of infection, requiring different types of antibiotics (gram negative and gram positive) but in the end he didn't even give you a broad spectrum one to cover things. (I would be against this in general because of the fact that it adds to your potential to develop bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics and you don't need that.) I think a new doctor and new opinions are in order.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25154 12-20-2007 12:06 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Donna,

As inexperienced as I am in this matter, I agree with Brian. I think seeing another doctor would be the way to go.

My PET scan showed something in my chest near my heart. My ENT said that the heart always "lights up" in the scan. Said that I was due for a chest xray when I turn 40 (1 year from now). Said we'd wait and see if it's still there at that time. The spot was described as non-specific. As relieved as I was to know that I did not have oral cancer, I was still concerned about my chest. I saw my GP, gave him all my results and we are doing a CT scan of my chest today.

I would like to believe that we can trust all doctors; but, we must remember that they are human. A second opinion wouldn't hurt. Your GP may be the place to start. He may recommend an ENT that he trusts.

Donna, as far as I am concerned the people here all have a spot in heaven. They are on their way to becomming saints (Especially Brian for having the insight to start this wonderful site!). The information and compassion that they share here keeps you working to find answers and a cure. Don't stop until you are satisfied.

Keep us posted.

Frank

South Louisiana - Cancerous growth removed from lip 10/07. Lesion removal & biopsy done 11/7/07 - no signs of cancer in area. PET scan done. No signs of cancer in Head & neck. Something in chest. CT to be done 12/20/07
#25155 12-20-2007 01:53 AM

As one who has gone thru Nissan Fundiplication Surgery for GERD, I would suggest you find a gastrointologist and have him do a scope . That's how I was diagnosed with Barretts esophagus. My esophagus looked like ulcerated liver. My surgeon wrapped 1/3rd of my stomache around my esophagus. That has been a few years ago and I don't have reflux at all since day 1. I do take Zantac and take some Mylanta . I get the scope from anywhere every 3 to 6 months. I am supposed to eat 6 small meals a day and no large ones.One of the after affects of this surgery is the loss of vomiting, LOL like who cares. No more heart burn or indigestion. Get yourself scoped.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
#25156 12-20-2007 02:41 AM
OP Offline

Thanks Brian. I agree. I was only able to see a NP and was checked for strep (negative) also received Rx for Chantix. I am looking for a doc that has more experience in Cancer of Head and Neck. I really thought the ENT would have been the right place but apparently I was wrong. Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Donna
#25157 12-20-2007 07:39 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Maybe it would be a good idea to make a phone call to MUSC in Charleston Donna. Maybe they could refer you to someone there or maybe you could come here for treatments. If you do call you want to ask for Dr. Terry Days office. He is the one you want to treat you or refer you.

Billy

Dx Mar 07 with Base Of Tongue Stage IV. IMRT 35x with 3 doses Cysplatin ran concurrent. Tx ended May 31,07. Left and right node involved. Radical neck disection 7/18/07
#25158 12-20-2007 08:26 AM
OP Offline

Thanks Billy. I think that is a great idea. It is a great place to start. I might would end up there anyway. Thanks for the info.

Donna
OP Offline

I am glad the holidays are almost over. It has been a bit of a tough one since my mind is competely taken over by concern. I did have one of my Doctor friends feel my left node and she is completely concerned. Said I needed a scan to check for my worst fear along with blood work. I did make an appt with my regular doc for Wednesday. I surely thought by going to the ENT I would be ahead of everything but I guess not.

I have read about all of the time that it has taken for so many to be diagnosed. What a waste and certainly a possibility that some would have lived or lived better had it been found earlier. As I educate myself, I will also be educating the medical community. I will keep everyone posted as I travel through this maze.

Donna

I wish you good luck with everything . I had 3 Drs tell me Ihad nothing wrong a year before OC was found and I'm going to make it thru this next one too. Just think positive and that will be 90% of your battle.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
EzJim #66563 12-31-2007 05:43 PM

I have Barretts esophagus . I had sugery for it, called Nissen Fundiplicaion. They wrap 1/3 of your stomache around your esophagus. No more reflux but you have to get scope to keep an eye on it. I could eat out of a garbage can now and get no reflux at all. You also lose the ability to vomit . LOL

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users