Mark Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

Moved here from another thread.

collie
Member # 3129

posted June 17, 2006 10:40 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not too sure where I'm posting this, but here goes: My 44 yr son was diagnosed with scc under the front of the tongue in late March. ENT removed a small tumor the day he saw him. He also had a swollen node in his neck about an inch and 1/2 long. He has now completed chem (immediately pills and 2 intravenous over 1 mo.) and about 33 daily rad. (except wkends) He has a feeding tube. I have spent hours reading the posts here and find it extremely helpful (and scary). He has just finished the radiation and now for the next big question:

If the node has not disappeared completely in 30 -40 days, is it a given that it must be removed surgically. We hoped it would be gone by now but it isn't. Here's the problem - ENT is older, more experienced and we think maybe too sure of himself and possibly a little arrogant. Statements such as "only I know" "I decide" etc. throws up a red flag to me. The radiologist is younger, seems very competent and in our opinion maybe more up to date with the latest schools of thought. There is a team and the ENT seems determined right now that surgery (extensive) will be necessary. Radiologist has not said in words, but sort of indicated that maybe just the one node could be removed and tested. If ENT is determined to cut, we are going for a 2nd opinion. I mean, once it's gone, it's gone. We also opted to keep the teeth. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. DigTexas described his treatment and I didn't see any surgery connected with that.

I also wondered if having had your tonsils removed early was a good or bad thing. Thanks to all you brave and courageous folks - Collie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 1 | From: SW Virginia | Registered: Jun 2006 | IP: Logged

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#20582 06-17-2006 03:09 PM
Mark Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Collie, Welcome

I think you have a good feel for things. A second opinion is a good idea before surgery. If it turn out that surgery (neck dissection) is required, don't fear it. The surgery and recovery are not all that bad. Radiation is much worse and he has that behind him.

I am happy about the teeth as well. From what I have heard, tonsils are not usually removed unless the primary tumor was in or near them. A tonsillectomy is not fun as an adult.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#20583 06-19-2006 12:59 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Collie,
welcome to the forum,
I can't add much more to what Mark already told you. but I too am a right tonsil cancer survivor (and I kept all of my teeth) I never had the tonsillectomy as the radiation simply melted them into oblivion. ENT's like to cut and second opinions are always a good idea. Just be careful that you don't "doctor shop" for the answer you want to hear. I would look for an opinion from a comprehensive cancer center. There are a list of them on the resources page section of the OCF site.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#20584 06-20-2006 03:19 AM

Thanks Mark and Gary. After reading 1 post where the guy had 80 nodes removed and one had cancer in it, it makes me think: "Gee, if that one was left, eventually it's going to rear its ugly head and spread." So now I'm thinking ENT knows what he's talking about and yet, we're grasping for straws. After much thinking, looks like surgery is in the cards, really, no matter what. He does still have that lump in his neck and although it went down some, it sure is still there.

What a blow this has been. But being the ever-optimist, I try to handle one little success at a time. He went to work yesterday (he's a nurse) and did okay. Also he started eating solid foods this weekend (Rad ended 2 weeks ago today 6-20) Dad says, you better take it easy, son. I don't think he's listening, as usual. Thanks guys. Collie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23