Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201077 12-07-2021 05:13 AM
OP Offline

My husband, 38 with no risk factors, was diagnosed with stage 4 SCC 4 Jan 2021. He had a sub-total glosscetomy 11 Feb 2021. The surgeons found that his tumor on his tongue had grown dramatically in the two weeks since his PET scan so they were aggressive with his resection and chemotherapy and radiation. He underwent through daily radiation for 6 weeks, chemotherapy treatments weekly and fluid infusions every few days for six weeks. He was so frail and drained, but he kept a great outlook saying that there was no option but to beat the cancer.
Unfortunately, three weeks after treatment we found a mass growing rapidly on his collarbone. He had a scan and the cancer has metastasized. It was in his collarbone, right lung, the other side of his flap and in a few of his remaining lymphnodes. We were devastated but hopeful that we could at least maintain the cancer.
He started radiation to shrink the tumor on his collarbone and a combination of immunology and two types of chemo. After three rounds, his blood cell counts kept dropping so he had to discontinue the chemo. He kept having Keytruda but then he started having pain when he took a deep breath. We were worried he had been exposed to COVID or had gotten bronchitis or pneumonia, but with imaging the oncologist found that the treatments had not worked and his cancer had spread into his breastbone and he had a small mountain-shaped tumor that rubbed on the lining of his chest wall and rib cage when he breathed.
So he started yet another round of radiation to shrink the problem tumors and a new chemo regimen, Erbitux and taxol. So far he is no longer having pain breathing. He is happy so far with the results but he won’t have scans for another three weeks and I keep waiting for the next shoe to fall.
Has anyone else had good results with Erbitux and taxol?

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I see that no one has jumped in to answer your last question. so I thought I would post regarding this. The lack of answers is probably because the treatments for patients that are in any kind of relapse or metastasis are very individualized, and unlike first cancers where the protocols for dealing with them are pretty standardized, you are in a different world of possible avenues to approach this.

You don't say where the treatment is taking place and where you are geographically. I'd like to understand that as it will influence things that I might suggest. I understand that some time has past since your posting and more may have occurred. But here it is Xmas eve, and if you happened back to the support group I wanted to offer some ideas. Hell of a way to spend Christmas. I can relate, my original cancer was diagnosed right before Christmas and I was in treatment at MDACC for it through the holidays and new year. Hoping to hear back from you soon. Brian

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics