Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200908 08-03-2021 07:31 PM
Jewely Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,
My name is Jewely. I was diagnosed with tongue cancer March 2021. I underwent surgery (have some scars and am still working on my speech). I just completed radiation two weeks ago. I am nervous about starting back at work and when I think too much I get anxious about my future. I am 43. I recently started exercising again and went on a hike. I plan to go kayaking as soon as my peg tube is removed and heals up a little.

One life
Jewely #200909 08-04-2021 12:56 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hello jewely,you have come to right place I was anxious like you but just keep busy I stayed busy in my case with my business but read posts here and ask questions talk to your Dr for some meds to calm your nerves good luck

Paan #200910 08-04-2021 06:50 AM
Jewely Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Paan, the Dr following my case is my oncologist/surgeon. Do you think I should see another Dr for the anxiety questions?

One life
Jewely #200929 08-13-2021 08:16 AM

Hi Jewely,

I think it makes sense to see a psychiatrist for anxiety if you are seeking medication. But in terms of talking things out and finding coping methods, I found patient support groups (such as this one) much more helpful.

Squamous cell carcinoma base of tongue. Lymph involvement unclear; staging placed at "2 or 3." Biopsy 4/18/2008. Treatment: IMRT every day for 7 weeks. Cisplaten once a week to sensitize cancer to radiation. Treatment ended 7/16/08. PET/CT shows no more cancer.
1 member likes this: Jewely
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Jewely

Congratulations on getting thru surgery and radiation. I went thru both last spring and summer. Both are difficult steps physically and mentally for different reasons. Surgery was intense but recovery was judged and noticed almost daily. Radiation felt less intense and long slow burn with recovery judged in weeks and months. I can now eat most non-spicy foods after over a year.

I was quite nervous about my speech and appearance as I started interfacing with people. But, after a couple days and interactions, I noticed people that had never met me seemed fine. They certainly could tell something was off with my speech. But, they could understand me well enough. And, those that knew me from before were just excited to see me recovering and up and about again.

My speech much better now but there is still a lisp. My scars healed fairly well but still there. I feel blessed to be back into full life.

As for anxiety, yes, I do recommend you try a therapist, counselor, or similar. You may start and then decide you only need them for a short period. Or, maybe they are quite helpful and you work with them for an extended period. Probably worth trying.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20
Nels #200942 08-25-2021 08:03 AM
Jewely Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Nel,
Hearing your story is reassuring and I can definitely relate to everything you said!!!

One life
Jewely #200946 08-26-2021 02:37 PM

Hi Jewely,
Love your positive energy planning your kayak outing!
While l am waiting for my throat biopsy next week, l can share that complimentary counseling offered by my local non-profit cancer support center was a huge help in managing my anxiety with my breast cancer diagnosis and treatment. These therapists specialize in cancer patients and understood immediately what l was going through. I am very grateful for their help. Hope it may help you too!
All the best!

Suspicious looking potentially cancerous area found in throat 8/2021. Physical biopsy scheduled for 9/3/21. Breast cancer diagnosed 2019.
Jewely #200980 09-25-2021 06:00 PM

Hey Jewelry,

It’s going to be a marathon not a sprint. I’m being honest. However, regardless of the effects of treatment, and new effects can present even years after, the reality is that it’s going to be worth it.

I had Stage 4, neck dissection, partial gloss, lymph nodes removed, immunotherapy and radiation. I went back to work in a month after radiation. I should have given my body and mind enough time to adjust and me enough time to grieve my old life. I was an attorney with my own practice and was the main support for my family. I should have declared disability in retrospect.

There are so many follow up appointments, having to consult with cardiologist, neurologist, therapist, o/t, speech therapy plastic surgeon (and I’m sure my list is short compared to others.) You need to just heal for the foreseeable future. That’s my opinion anyway.

I was speaking two hours after surgery and do mouth stretching 4 times a day to keep things from getting tight as scar tissue forms. Make yourself do it. Also, I used Lush Dream Cream and Sympathy immediately after each radiation and applied at least two additional times per day, massaging the whole time. I have minimal scarring and speak well enough to be understood.

I’ve had a recurrence recently so another 17 hour surgery and tumor’s out. Then my jawbone had osteoradionecrosis so it had to be replaced with my fibula.I’ve had a hard road but it’s doable. I’m an elected official in my town and have been for the past 8 years so I did all this in public. For me, I felt it was important that people see the very public trauma of head and neck cancer. Maybe try just volunteering as a first step instead of working right away. I just know it would have made things easier for me. But maybe it’s not the same for you. I won’t judge.

I will be praying for you and would be happy to share tips and tricks I have learned. I look forward to hearing from you.

Marianna
1 member likes this: bking

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users