Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Hello,
Thank you for this forum.
I have had a painful tongue lesion for 2 months and a painful gland on my neck. I had a punch biopsy yesterday and will review the results and treatment plan with the ENT on Thursday. He didn’t notice neck swelling, but I do.
He suspects at least part of it to be cancerous, with a yeast overlay.
He talked about the range of possibilities for outcomes and treatments.
I’m 60, overweight, with diabetes, back issues and neuropathy. I live alone, and my family and friends are too far, and, given the pandemic and their age, they most likely won’t travel to help if needed.
I’m self-employed, and have my own patients. I’m pretty stunned that I could have cancer and may at a minimum require tongue surgery that has a very painful recovery.
I don’t have my results yet, but the Dr thinks fairly strongly that part of it was cancerous.
There’s so much I need to do to prepare that it’s hard to know where to start.
I feel fear, anxiety and some dread.
When the numbing wore off from the biopsy, the pain slammed me, and my mood dropped considerably.
I’m trying to use good self-care, share with close ones, and prioritize.
But being alone at my age makes this kind of daunting. And I’m most concerned about the pain in recovery.
Thank you for listening. Any suggestions that helped you during your times of waiting are welcome.

~brenshere ❤️
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hello Brenshere,I replied to you earlier i don't see it,anyway you have come to right place just don't worry and keep yourself busy until you get results,I was anxious snd scared like you but I got lot of support and knowledge from this very supportive group of great people my new family,read as many posts as you can make yourself more knowledgeable and don't worry it might not be cancer,stay strong we are here for you any questions just ask good luck

Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Hi Brenshere,

I am so sorry for what you are going thru. The initial anguish and fear with your diagnosis is not easy to process. Having loved ones nearby, zoom, or however, is a big help. I hope you can use facetime/zoom, and get a support group of highly trusted people. It helped me to have a schedule set up with different groups. One day would be immediate family. A couple days later would be high school buds, etc. This was all zoom.

The surgery is intense depending on which process you ultimately need but they did not send me home until I was ready. I ended up getting a partial glossectomy (half my tongue) and all the nodes on that side removed. I had a trache tube for breathing. And, believe me, I would have done almost anything to be out of the hospital after those days in ICU.

Nurses are angels. They did so much to make my experience better. Lean on them, open up to them, they are amazing.

I also found strength in knowledge. I read books. The one about Greg Anshutz is inspirational. Also, I recommend Anticancer (my favorite because it is packed with data and I am an engineer). You can find tons if you like to read.

Good on you for reaching out to this group. You can find all kinds of good support and information here.

Stay safe and keep the faith,
Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Oh, one other thing that really helped me...keep a journal. I would wake up worried about this, that, so I would start writing and three hours later I would be surprised at all the thoughts that came pouring out. This went on for months before, during, and after treatment. It really helped. Hope you try it.

Best,
Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20
OP Offline

Thank you both so much for the support! Sorry I don’t know how to reply to each post. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Update: My neck CT scan showed no abnormalities. In the surface, that’s a relief. However, I still have a painful lump on my neck, and my jaw and ear hurt. It could be referred pain, or not.
I see the ENT tomorrow and should get a diagnosis and treatment plan. 🙏🏻
I’m assuming I need SOME treatment because it’s 2 cm, and painful.
Thank you for the supportive posts and suggestions.
I really appreciate it!

~brenshere ❤️

If the ENT tells you it is cancer and if the ENT is not at a CCC it is time for you to go to a CCC.

Oral cancer hits only a small % of the population and you will need somebody with specific and extensive oral cancer experience.

SCC stage 1 Nov. '03,
SCC stage 2 (clear mrg, no rad, no chemo) RND, Feb. '15
SCC stage 1, lower gum Mar '23

TLC356
OP Offline

Thank you for the tip. I researched it and he is an otolaryngologist. He is board certified and is a member of the American Board of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery.

Do I need him to be a CCC?

Last edited by Brenshere; 02-04-2021 07:16 AM. Reason: Corrected info

~brenshere ❤️
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

A CC.C is a comprehensive cancer center. An otolaryngologist is an ENT. You do want to find out whether he has experience treating oral cancer.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
OP Offline

Thank you. He has several years of experience treating oral/tongue cancer. His patient reviews are glowing, which is comforting.

~brenshere ❤️
OP Offline

I’ve been diagnosed w/SCC: T1N0M0, P 16 negative,
Ipsilateral neck dissection for patients with N0 neck and T2+ tumors. Surgery for a partial glossectomy is expected in a few weeks, and a ipsilateral neck dissection a month after that.

~brenshere ❤️
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users