Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cliff Offline OP
OP Offline

I had tongue cancer over two years ago they removed the tumor and had to remove about 1/3 of tongue and about 100 lymph node in my neck. They then followed up with 36 radiation treatments. I still continue to have great pain in my tongue along with pain and numbness in my checks and neck. I have had a number of follow up ct scans and all are clear which is great but was wondering if anyone else had faced this type of lingering pain, if so what has helped you. Thanks Cliff from Denver.

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Cliff. While I am only 9 months post-treatment, I continue to have the same numbness and nerve pain in my neck up into my ear. My tongue however does not hurt. The only time my tongue hurt was during the last few weeks of radiation when my mouth was plastered with sores.

I take a Super Vitamin B Complex daily. Other patients have said it helps with neuropathy. I also use medical cannabis in the form of edibles (RSO) to help me cope with the pain. After what I went through I have no plans on smoking or vaping pot anymore. I used Neurontin (Gabapentin) for a month, but it made me tired so I stopped taking it.

Have you asked your doctor about what you can try?

The number of people involved in my care (@ a CCC) is humbling. Doctors, nurses, therapists, support staff, & of course, family. With everyone fighting for me to beat cancer the least I can do is fight back and win!
Cliff Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes I take 3200 milligrams of gabapentin daily but it does not help much, I also take 15 mill of hydrocodon that still does not keep the pain away. I have met with many doctors and no one seems to be able to find an answer. Thanks for sharing your issue, best of luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23