Posted By: Cliff Long term pain tongue cancer an - 12-26-2020 03:33 PM
I had tongue cancer over two years ago they removed the tumor and had to remove about 1/3 of tongue and about 100 lymph node in my neck. They then followed up with 36 radiation treatments. I still continue to have great pain in my tongue along with pain and numbness in my checks and neck. I have had a number of follow up ct scans and all are clear which is great but was wondering if anyone else had faced this type of lingering pain, if so what has helped you. Thanks Cliff from Denver.
Posted By: DavidUofMsavedMe Re: Long term pain tongue cancer an - 12-30-2020 07:57 PM
Hi Cliff. While I am only 9 months post-treatment, I continue to have the same numbness and nerve pain in my neck up into my ear. My tongue however does not hurt. The only time my tongue hurt was during the last few weeks of radiation when my mouth was plastered with sores.

I take a Super Vitamin B Complex daily. Other patients have said it helps with neuropathy. I also use medical cannabis in the form of edibles (RSO) to help me cope with the pain. After what I went through I have no plans on smoking or vaping pot anymore. I used Neurontin (Gabapentin) for a month, but it made me tired so I stopped taking it.

Have you asked your doctor about what you can try?
Posted By: Cliff Re: Long term pain tongue cancer an - 01-04-2021 02:51 PM
Yes I take 3200 milligrams of gabapentin daily but it does not help much, I also take 15 mill of hydrocodon that still does not keep the pain away. I have met with many doctors and no one seems to be able to find an answer. Thanks for sharing your issue, best of luck.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum