Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200256 07-16-2020 07:08 AM
LMM Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello, everyone!

My sister, a 60-year old nonsmoker, was diagnosed with SCC last week. She had been diagnosed with Oral Lichen Planus some time ago but was told the condition was harmless and it didn't seem to be affecting her in any way.

Additionally, my brother, a 40-year smoker, was diagnosed with SCC last year. Unfortunately, after dealing really well with a glossectomy, radiation and chemo, he lost his battle after 9 months due to a suspected embolism.

Needless to say, we are reeling.

I will be her primary caregiver and am freaking out. She is due for surgery (glossectomy and reconstruction) on 7.22 and will have to be alone at the hospital. She is due to stay only 5 days.(possibly due to COVID?) and then comes home with a trach (which is supposed to be in for 3 months) and a feeding tube. Plus, the wounds from her reconstruction. She will have a visiting nurse, which is great, but I have to learn how to do the tube and trach care. HELP!

Does anyone have any advice that will help make this time go smoothly for everyone? What should I be asking the visiting nurses? Any products or procedures you would recommend? I am going with her to a doctor appointment tomorrow - what should I be asking?

Thanks for all of your help and guidance.

LMM #200259 07-17-2020 08:19 AM
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin

So sorry you have to be a part of the forum, but know that you are welcome.

First thing, you may want to get a dry erase board for your sister while she’s in hospital so she can make her needs known. These dry erase boards are available in dollar stores. Some people use an app on their phone but learning to use a phone app in a week may be the last thing on your sister’s mind. Don’t worry about what you don’t know, my experience is everyone at the hospital and this includes the visiting nurse is very kind. All you need to do is to ask. They will show you what you need to do. As far as the feeding is concerned, we got a show and tell from the nurse. We had to show her we knew what to do before she would allow us to go home. One you are home, you can ask the visiting nurse about whatever you may have questions about. You may want to write down on a pad all the questions you have so that you can ask the doctor/nurse when you have an appointment or when the nurse comes to the house. Be organized so that you can track the amount of water, or doses of medication your sister has taken so that you can talk to the doctors if problems ever arise.

Of course, you are welcome to ask on the forum any time.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

the white board comes in handy! I used to write the day of the week and the date each day so that he would know. His mind got a little lost during treatment but remember how it was during covid...we lost track of the day of the week so easily!

i also put up how much of each syringe he needed to use for his feeding tube.

also a great place to write something nice.

Spouse of 58 yr old with BOT cancer
Stage 4a HPV16 positive
3 chemo treatments cisplantin
35 radiation treatments 7000 cGy
former smoker/chewed tobacco for 38 yrs.
1/2020 diagnosed with cancer near TMJ
4/2020 chemo 5 days every 2 weeks
6/2020 proton therapy
9/21/2020 cancer free
LMM #200261 07-19-2020 10:30 AM
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear about your sister and your brother. This must be devastating for you, your sister and your families.
I had SCC and a total glossectomy last year, I had a trach in, not as long as your sister will potentially have hers in for, but for long enough. It's easy to clean the trach, you will be shown how, but it isn't too bad.
The feeding tube is the easiest thing in the world to look after. I had a RIG (aka as a G-tube in the US) which needed the water in the balloon to be changed every week. My husband did that. The nurse will coach and guide you until you are comfortable.

Things that help me:
- A whiteboard and whiteboard pens. This gave me my voice.
- A rattle for when I wanted someones attention
- Boxes for tissues/handkerchiefs for when I needed to spit out mucus
- Notebooks to write down how I was feeling, but only for private use
- I had a horseshoe shaped pillow for my neck
- I got obsessed with making my nails look nice
- Small ice chips flavoured with mild citrus flavours. This was for when I was learning to swallow. My dietitian and speech therapist recommended this.

Questions to ask:
- What do they recommend you provide for your sister, such as nutrition supplements
- What physio exercises does your sister need to be doing, and when

For your sister:
I was told I would never speak again, but I can. I started to say some words the 4th day after my surgery. They gave me a valve to put on the trach which directs the airflow back over the larynx. It is hard work at first. It's easy to breathe in, but breathing out is hard. So I tried talking as I breathed out. I wore it for 15 minutes the 1st day, then built it up slowly.

If I wasn't using the valve, I tried to speak without it. Just naming things in my room, out loud. Then i did the alphabet out loud. I wrote down each letter, if I could say that letter I would cross it of my list.

Singing to my favourite songs helped me too. They were garbled at first and I had no control over pitch, but they helped my mind and my mood.

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
05/20/19 T4aN1/N2bM0 SCC a whopper of a tumour at 8cm long & 4cm wide
Pembro pre & post surgery
RIG
Glossectomy ND RFFR 08/13/19
RT x33
2x cispltin
So far, no evidence of disease
Now an author of a recipe book for mouth cancer patients
LMM Offline OP
OP Offline

Oh, wow! Thank you, everybody, for your support and encouragement. My sister goes in on 7.22 for what they are saying is a total glossectomy and reconstruction and bi-lateral neck dissection. Because of Covid, I was unable to attend any of her pre-surgery appointments. On 7.22, we just drop her off at the hospital and go home. We won't see her at all until she is discharged, 5 or 6 days later. Was anyone else released so soon after surgery?

LMM #200264 07-20-2020 12:46 PM
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Everyone is different. I was out after 9 days, but I know 1 person who was out after 7. If they don't feel your sister is ready to come out, then they won't discharge her early

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
05/20/19 T4aN1/N2bM0 SCC a whopper of a tumour at 8cm long & 4cm wide
Pembro pre & post surgery
RIG
Glossectomy ND RFFR 08/13/19
RT x33
2x cispltin
So far, no evidence of disease
Now an author of a recipe book for mouth cancer patients
LMM Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, my sister had her surgery and they removed her entire tongue and part of her pharynx. The trach will stay in until after radiation and the feeding tube is permanent.

We had initially thought she would come to the home I share with my mother, who is 85 and has some cognitive and hearing issues and I am working full-time and managing two houses while she’s recovering. Now we are hoping that she gets to heal and recover in a skilled nursing facility as it is too much for me to handle. Did anyone else recover in a rehab/skilled nursing facility?

The surgeons have said that she will never be able to eat or drink via her mouth. How will she handle radiation and it’s effects when she can’t do much to soothe her mouth?

LMM #200287 07-27-2020 06:24 AM
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Have the surgeons mentioned a feeding tube? If your sister is not able to eat and swallow, that’s probably the way they’ll go. My husband had oropharyngeal cancer and after radiation, scarring closed his esophagus completely so he was not able to eat and drink. Although he eventually found an interventional radiologist who opened up his esophagus, he developed silent aspiration, so he was not able to eat and drink despite the procedure. A patient gets enough nutrition through the feeding tube so that’s not a concern, and it won’t impact radiation treatments. It will be a new normal for your sister, I would think the most important thing is for her to slowly come to terms with it. There are a number of members of this forum who depend on a feeding tube as a result of their treatments. Hopefully, they will see your post and chime in.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23