Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#199235 10-11-2019 12:28 PM
LMC5183 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all. I’d first like to say I appreciate your time especially since I have not formally been d/x as of yet. I’m looking for next step opinions so that I don’t make the mistake of not advocating enough for myself.

I recently switched dentists and while doing a normal cleaning they noted two small white areas of concern. One in my cheek & another under my tounge - both on the same side. At first glance they explained it as me biting my cheek and the toughness of the teeth around the area. They also noted a small mark where my wisdom teeth were removed years ago. I had never seen these spots before but I also hadn’t ever looked. Another dentist was called in and she said she was concerned and referred me to an oral surgeon for a swab.

Turns out my insurance is terrible and no oral surgeons around here accept it. Being as anxious as I am I quickly googled if anyone else could d/x oral cancer and found an ENT that got me in rather quickly. Research showed me I’d likely need a biopsy not just a swab and I went in fully expecting I’d receive a date for one. Instead this ENT did his inspection and said he didn’t see cause for any biopsy. He too said based on my health history and what he saw it was likely just irritation from my teeth and me biting my cheek. Sure it was nice to hear he didn’t have concerns but I asked if we should biopsy just in case. He didn’t even want to swab it. Said to come back in 3 months and then if it still looks the same we could possibly swab/biopsy then. My family thinks I’m crazy for not just accepting this answer - mainly b/c of my age , female, Heath and insane anxiety.

I guess my question is who is the best person to talk to about this? Should I pay an insane amount out of pocket for an oral surgeon that may swab? Should I call another ENT? Or is waiting the 3 months acceptable? I have no pain or any other symptoms. Thanks in advance!

LMC5183
LMC5183 #199237 10-11-2019 08:37 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I would trust an ENT more than a dentist, but its totally up to you. If you feel that much anxiety about it, keep trying to get a biopsy so you can put your mind at ease.

Can you see the patch in question with a handheld mirror? Personally, I'd get a friend to take a picture, and look again in two weeks and compare the photo with your mouth to see if it's healing. If it is, you're probably OK to wait the three months to visit the ENT again and have them tell you the same thing. If two weeks go by it isn't healing, and/or looks like it's grown, I'd go back to the ENT and insist on that biopsy.

Dad was diagnosed 2/28/18 w Stage 4, N0 Verrucous carcinoma (VC) an uncommon variant of SSC
Mandibulectomy and free-flap reconstruction 5/30/18
Diagnosis changed to SSC.
Began treatment of 30 rads and 5 Cisplatin Cycles on 7/18/18
Decided not to do any more Cisplatin after the first one.
Finished treatment on 8/31/18.
3.19 Abscess & Recurrence wide mouth resection
4.16.19 Scapular Flap Reconstruction surgery
9.6.19 Clear CT!
8.6.20 Clear CT!
LMC5183 #199238 10-11-2019 09:00 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF! Im sorry to read about what you currently are dealing with! Its never easy when you are worried something going on could be a very serious health condition. Hopefully what you have is nothing serious and can be easily treated.

Theres a general rule we have around here that fits your situation... Anyone who has a spot, lump, sore, etc in their mouth for 2 weeks or more should get it checked by a professional. By [i]"professional" I mean you should seek out an experienced ENT who specializes in OC. You do NOTY want to select an ENT who primarily puts tube in kids ears as they may not be fully versed in OC.
[/i]
Since OCF is comprised of members who are not medical professionals and we do not have any formal medical training/education. That means, we are people who have gotten thru diagnosis, treatments and recovery for OC. As a group of oral cancer (OC) patients/survivors and caregivers we are not qualified to weigh in with our opinions on what is best for your individual situation. Its never easy trying to figure out what your next step will be when you're in unknown territory. Unfortunately our opinions on what should happen next arent beneficial to anyone. Reading on the main OCF site where theres page after page of important articles that may be helpful with figuring out whats best.

Another option would be to go for a second opinion at another ENT's office. You need to be sure whatever ENT you select they specialize in treating OC patients. Hopefully what you have going on is nothing serious. Just in case if you are a smoker, or chewing tobacco user do yourself a huge favor and immediately stop using it! Also avoid mouthwashes that contain alcohol, that goes for drinking alcohol, even beer until you know what is going on with your mouth.. Drink lots of water and

Best wishes with everything!!!

Main OCF Site, Understanding section

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV