Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#199072 09-16-2019 07:39 AM
OP Offline

I was never the best at monitoring my health, mainly because I was too concerned about others. Since all of the others are now gone from my life, it was time to think about me. In the past ten years, I've mainly had a couple of bouts with kidney stones, and some dental problems. In April, I started some statin's for my cholesterol, and got some antibiotics for a sore throat. At the end of July, my cholesterol had dropped by 50 points, and all my labs showed that everything was good. Unfortunately, the sore throat did not respond to the antibiotics. Had a CT w/contrast on 8/7 - noted possibly malignant mass on left tonsil. ENT consult (scope and biopsy) on 8/14 - results on 8/21 - tumor board on 8/22 - diagnosis and treatment plan on 8/26 - Stage 2 P16+ SCC left tonsil and base of tongue. No surgery recommendations.
Since that time, I have seen speech pathology (swallow clinic), had a PET scan (no metastasizing), seen Dental / Oral Surgeon, Chemo Oncology, and Radio Oncology. Meeting with Dietitian today, and Gastro for a PEG next week. This Wednesday, the 18th, I get all of my teeth extracted (I got some immediate dentures to maintain some kind of semblance to normalcy - might have questions about these after treatment actually starts.)
Treatment that has been recommended includes 7 weeks RAD, and 3 CHEM. Don't know the dosages of anything right now.
All of my treatment is occurring through the cancer center at the Dallas V.A. Hospital.
I've read quite a number of posts on this forum already. Helped me to decide to get the PEG - don't want it, but... The realities brought up in some of the posts has caused me some difficulties also.
My treatment center is 38 miles from my home. I hate the drive now, and I still feel pretty healthy, but I live by myself, and have no family. I try not to impose on friends. I have no one to act as a caregiver, no support mechanisms in place. I'm not concerned about this week or next, but I am worried about weeks 5 - 7 of RAD. It's been so unnerving that I've been having anxiety attacks.

"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi wizgee,

Sorry to have you on this group page for your diagnosis, but I can tell you this is the best place to be with your diagnosis.

I know you don't have a physical support network, however please share your journey with us and we'll support you as best we can. You are not on your own with us.

I'm glad our experiences have helped you decide to get a PEG. I too hated the thought of it until I realised just how much I'm going to need it during rads, and how much I used it for a couple of weeks post surgery. It really helps and isn't a hindrance in any way.

I can imagine the 38 mile drive will become quite difficult around week 3 onwards with your RADS & Chemo, which is when the fatigue starts to kick in. Does your hospital have patient transport? Or is there anything else transport wise you can use?

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
05/20/19 T4aN1/N2bM0 SCC a whopper of a tumour at 8cm long & 4cm wide
Pembro pre & post surgery
RIG
Glossectomy ND RFFR 08/13/19
RT x33
2x cispltin
So far, no evidence of disease
Now an author of a recipe book for mouth cancer patients
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

caregiver speaking......my husband could have driven himself the first few weeks but there is no way he could have driven the 100 miles daily after that. He could barely get out of the car some days. He could not think clearly and doctors told him no driving for a long time afterward as his response time was terrible. We hid the keys in fact as he wanted to escape and go buy himself foods that he ended up throwing away because he could not swallow them. He wanted his old life back right now.

Now, I'm not trying to scare you. if you had been around and read how he starved himself for 2 months due to pride about needing a feeding tube, you would understand that his mind got messed up from the starvation. the docs told me that's why he couldn't do the most simple task for a long long time. The treatment is tough enough but he made bad choices that set him back in ways that shouldn't have happened. But I will tell you to find drivers. I lined up co workers of his a few times just to give myself a break. Warn them you do not feel like talking....just need a driver. I told drivers to not expect conversation so they were prepared.

Best wishes to you. People here do care and will listen. They carried me through a lot of darkness and gave me information I needed to understand the process.
Do what the doctors tell you and trust me, it will go better than if you decide to buck the system. A year later, you would not know he has had back of the tongue cancer stage 4a. Hang in there, we are all rooting for you.

ETA...you are going to need a support system of some sort. Nurses that come to your home to check on you, a friend or two to drive, etc. This is not a path easily taken by oneself. Time to be a little imposing and selfish. I give you permission!

Last edited by ConnieT; 09-16-2019 12:14 PM.

Spouse of 58 yr old with BOT cancer
Stage 4a HPV16 positive
3 chemo treatments cisplantin
35 radiation treatments 7000 cGy
former smoker/chewed tobacco for 38 yrs.
1/2020 diagnosed with cancer near TMJ
4/2020 chemo 5 days every 2 weeks
6/2020 proton therapy
9/21/2020 cancer free

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members