Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi fellow OC patients,

Yesterday, I got the call-- that the Pathology reports from my double surgery on April 11th, showed the fast growing Oral Tumor to be a relapse:

Invasive squamous cell carcinoma with Deep Positive Margins.

They've ordered a CT scan with contrast for Tomorrow, because we suspect this new tumor extends down into my Mandible bone, again.. My surgeon needs the CT results to guide his next surgery. We are going after it!

The second medium-sized the pre-malignant lesion in left Piriform Fossa, is still in Moderate dysplasia. My second surgeon hit it with Laser surgery and is already setting up my next one for that...

The new SCC invasive tumor takes precedence, but I have a problem-- right now I'm being treated for Pneumonia.
Chest X Ray showed it, and the Sputum culture I submitted grew out E. Coli.
E. Coli in my lungs??? Yes, they think I may have aspirated my stomach contents, or that it developed after being on mechanical Ventilator for surgeries ( I have had So Many surgeries & procedures !!)I

So, I must get this pneumonia cleared up, so I can withstand an even bigger surgery. It may involve bone grafts, etc.

It's Chilling, to get the word that one's Invasive cancer is back, with deep Positive Margins just one year post Radiation treatments.

But I'm standing here, ready to go another Round.
All 75 pounds of me.

Crystal

Last edited by Crystal J; 04-23-2019 09:04 AM.

Crystal I'm so sorry they are saying there's more surgeries in the future because they fear they didn't get it all during the double surgery. I'm crossing my fingers and wishing in everything in me that your ct scan shows some positive news. I think it's smart that you're mentally preparing for the possibility of not good news. You've went through so much already and I know it's hard to maintain a positive attitude but you're doing great at it. I understand that really we have no choice but basically to 'grin and bear it' when we are told to prepare for more surgeries but it is tough advice, especially when you've been grinning and bearing quite a heavy load now. I hope you're finding some joy here and there through these scary days from your dogs or family or a favorite tv show or SOMETHING. You deserve a respite from all the medical terminology and surgery talk. My cats kept me company while I was home for those 6 months and I did love the kitty cuddles to add a little bit of comfort to my days.

Laura Age 40
Tongue lesion on left side grew and was hurting in mid-August
Dx as squamous cell carcinoma on 9.18.18
Left Neck Dissection and tongue surgery, lost a fourth of my tongue on 10.1.18, tumor had grown to a T3
Margins were clear except front section of tongue margin had three stray cancer cells that were not in the tumor
Additional surgery 10.18.18 to remove another cm near where the stray cells were found
33 radiation treatments from Nov 2018 through Jan 2019

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics