Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

My experience with radiation was that I was able to drive myself to radiation throughout my 33 treatments. Radiation doesn't hurt while your getting it, but being on a table and completely restrained can be very unnerving, but it generally only lasted like 10 minutes. I had to wear a mouth prosthesis that propped my mouth open along with the mask that completely immobilizes your face. It's not fun but, it's over in about 2.5 songs. I was in and out every day in about 30 minutes total.

As the weeks went by I generally felt more tired, but not so much that I wasn't able to still keep up on things around the house. By about week 3 of radiation, my neck did end up getting red and needed Eucerin to be moisturized and the inside of my mouth did develop sores and at one point the entire inside of my mouth 'shedded.' You would think that was a big deal but by that point, there wasn't much taste left so it's not like I was enjoying food or anything. The weeks AFTER radiation was the worst for me. Everyone was basically like, oh the week after will suck then there should be an upswing but no, not with me. I maintained my weight up until the end of radiation then for 4 weeks straight I lost weight. By then there was no taste and the fatigue was so bad I barely was awake or had the energy to even attempt to eat. The oxycodone and morphine contributed to my sleepiness but I needed it to get through the residual pain in my throat. Not feeling like myself and not participating in life made for a dreary existence for that solid month and then some. The good part is it's all temporary, but when you're in the thick of it, it's hard to be patient for your body to get back to normal.

Last edited by VirgoMomof3Boys; 04-03-2019 08:53 PM.

Laura Age 40
Tongue lesion on left side grew and was hurting in mid-August
Dx as squamous cell carcinoma on 9.18.18
Left Neck Dissection and tongue surgery, lost a fourth of my tongue on 10.1.18, tumor had grown to a T3
Margins were clear except front section of tongue margin had three stray cancer cells that were not in the tumor
Additional surgery 10.18.18 to remove another cm near where the stray cells were found
33 radiation treatments from Nov 2018 through Jan 2019
BJT Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Judy,

Your husbands deal is just like mine, but I just had the surgery and believed my doctors that i only had a 17% chance of the cancer coming back. Unfortunately I lost the odds and it came back 4 years later so I went through a hell of 30 days hooked up to chemo drips and 49 whacks of radiation. I hope you husband with retains his ability to swallow because 1/2 through my esophagus closed up to a pin hole and asked for a gtube. I was not able to swallow or speak for three months. My last radiation was August 2 of 2018 and After my 2nd throat dilation I i was able to eat again and refused to use the gtube. I did lost 50lbs and now back to my freshman college weight, but was able to maintain at 200lbs, so the doctors allowed me to have the gtube pulled out. Radiation really sucks and as the earlier posts mentioned, the first few weeks are easy, then your husband will feel like he got the shit kicked out of him and work will be the last thing on his mind. I hope he keeps the protein going and rests and I wish him well and not to have the same results and pain that I experienced. Take care and I give you props in helping him.

Bruce
BJT Offline

I forgot to mention I am going for my 4th dilation and still have 3 or more to go before my esophagus is almost as wide prior to the radiation.

Bruce
BJT Offline

I feel your pain. It does really suck.

Bruce
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260